Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10 January 2010 CE

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 10 January 2010 CE
Jan 10, 2010, 20:07
"Kalima - Four Songs EP"

Jez's vibes playing is good on that and Andy Connell's piano solo on Trickery is pretty good too. Shame the band could never replicate the sound of those songs live.

8)
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 20:08
It's worth getting.

8)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 20:11
dave clarkson wrote:
"Kalima - Four Songs EP"

Jez's vibes playing is good on that and Andy Connell's piano solo on Trickery is pretty good too. Shame the band could never replicate the sound of those songs live.

8)

It's taken me a very long time to "get" Kalima, probably because I don't like that much jazz. I first heard them on the Palatine box set and they tended to get fast-forwarded (tapes, eh?). Now I really like their stuff and have only recently picked up the two records mentioned. Must be getting old!?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 20:16
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
The Fall - Early Fall 77-79
An old vinyl comp on Step Forward. Fantastic collection which sounds brill on my nice turntable.

I bought a copy of this LP from a second hand place in Hereford many years ago when I was at school. I had got "In Palace Of Swords" by then so expected more of the same. I was very surprised to hear an LP of country and western. I still don't know who is on this LP, but it sure isn't MES! As a further aside, I bought a copy of Live '77 (now deleted I think) a few years aso and it actually does play Early Fall 77-79 instead and I have since heard two further copies the same. Still never heard Live '77!

Eh? You must have a different album to me. This is deffo MES in fine form. Psykick Dancehall, Firey Jack, Dice Man, Bingo Masters Breakout, Rowche Rumble - classics all.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 20:17
Do you like the Swamp Children's 'So Hot' album? There's a few good tunes on that.

8)
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 10, 2010, 21:31
Jan 10, 2010, 20:17
Of course it was patronising and deliberately so (see below). Stop telling people their taste is crap and then putting a smiley after the barb. It's a bit weak and certainly not meant affectionately given you are someone with such strong opinions about other people's alleged lapses of judgement. State an opinion. Fine. Why go out of your way to personalise it?
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 20:20
Squid Tempest wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
An old vinyl comp on Step Forward. Fantastic collection which sounds brill on my nice turntable.

I bought a copy of this LP from a second hand place in Hereford many years ago when I was at school. I had got "In Palace Of Swords" by then so expected more of the same. I was very surprised to hear an LP of country and western. I still don't know who is on this LP, but it sure isn't MES! As a further aside, I bought a copy of Live '77 (now deleted I think) a few years aso and it actually does play Early Fall 77-79 instead and I have since heard two further copies the same. Still never heard Live '77!

Eh? You must have a different album to me. This is deffo MES in fine form. Psykick Dancehall, Firey Jack, Dice Man, Bingo Masters Breakout, Rowche Rumble - classics all.

I do, mine is a misspress of something else (C+W) and I still don't know what it actually is - it's pretty terrible from what I remember. I have the Early album on CD (twice if you include the Live '77 one!). It is a classic.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 20:21
a23 wrote:

holy river family band - haida deities

really nice album that, and better for being conciser than the sprawling Welcome to Riverhouse (which would have been way better as a single CD of it's best bits)

on a similar note I highly recommend some of Paul Metzger's stuff, if you've not tried some already. I've got the Improvisations for Modified Banjo album and he makes it sound like a whole load of different eastern stringed instruments, marvellous stuff :)

http://www.myspace.com/paulmetzger
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 20:22
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

I do, mine is a misspress of something else (C+W) and I still don't know what it actually is - it's pretty terrible from what I remember. I have the Early album on CD (twice if you include the Live '77 one!). It is a classic.

Hah! See what you mean now!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6200 posts

Jan 10, 2010, 20:22
dave clarkson wrote:
Do you like the Swamp Children's 'So Hot' album? There's a few good tunes on that.

8)

Yeah, that's a good album. I have the two Swamp Children singles too - "Little Voices" and "Taste What's Rhythm". I think it was getting those that persuaded to give Kalima another go!
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index