Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Valve2
Valve2
84 posts

Re: 2010 Gigs
Jan 02, 2010, 16:37
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
Cope at the Trades sounds great to me- even though I'm now in Brighton, Hebden Bridge is my old stomping ground and a perfect place to see JC, I reckon. Pretty much in the middle of this island, too- shall we start a facebook campaign to get it organised for the summer?

If anybody from the Cope camp is interested here's the contact:
http://home.btconnect.com/tradesclub/trades/band_enquiries.htm
Dave who books the bands is a nice bloke and a scouser to boot...
thekremlin
132 posts

Jan 02, 2010, 20:59
so far i'm going to 65daysofstatic in newcastle.

wish list...

be nice to see the cure outside of london for once
black heart procession
luke haines (missed him at the cluny!!! arrghh!)
mogwai
the mars volta
grinderman (new album due soon)
trail of dead
grails
iLiKETRAins
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 02, 2010, 21:35
landells wrote:
It would also be lovely to see more gigs by Lunar Dunes and Black Tempest

Very kind of you to say so old chap! I'd love to be offered some more gigs like the Club Dune thing, that was a brilliant night.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 02, 2010, 22:02
Jan 02, 2010, 21:43
Squid Tempest wrote:
landells wrote:
It would also be lovely to see more gigs by Lunar Dunes and Black Tempest

Very kind of you to say so old chap! I'd love to be offered some more gigs like the Club Dune thing, that was a brilliant night.

Thanks (both). I think the Inn on the Green is at its best in the spring / summer (especially with the park across the way and the bar balcony) so the time to do it would be between late April and the start of the World Cup.

Was a fantastic turn out last time so I am sure Hami and I would be happy to put the time in if the interest is there. Perhaps a two-dayer with a wider bill would be better value for folks who are travelling up and staying over?

Once we've got the two new albums finally ready for public consumption (one with the full band and one a trio set) then we'll be doing something along those lines again I'm sure.

Recent Cope favourite Samuel Katarro has been on our invite list since his manager / publisher sent us Beach Party in 2008. And there is always the option of bringing Damo back for another run at the world's-longest-song record. All sorts of possibles and probables.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 03, 2010, 12:37
Jan 02, 2010, 21:58
Todd, Kiss, Iggy and Tangerine Dream are high on the list in terms of those bands revisiting former glories plus Spiritualized, The Mars Volta, Jerry Dammers' Sun Ra big band and any Cope related thing in London. And I hope Ronnie James Dio makes a full recovery.

Otherwise I am planning on spending a lot more time at small venues like the Green Note in Camden where people seem to be able to put their iPhones away for an hour and shut up while the bands are playing.
landells
landells
680 posts

Jan 03, 2010, 00:02
Yeah, the Club Dune/HH shindig in April was brilliant - certainly a highlight of the gig going year as far as I'm concerned

Another one would be most welcome

Ian, if you decide to do a Club Dune night at the start of the World Cup you should make it a prerequisite that all performers have to do a cover version of a football song - that's got to be worth a laugh and a a raised eyebrow or two
thekremlin
132 posts

Jan 03, 2010, 00:12
IanB wrote:
Todd, Kiss, Iggy and Tangerine Dream are high on the list in terms of those bands revisiting former glories plus Spiritualized, The Mars Volta, Jerry Dammers' Sun Ra big band and any Cope related thing in London. And I hope Ronnie James Dio makes a full recovery. Otherwise I am planning on spending a lot more time at small venues like the Green Note in Camden where people seem to be able to put their iPhones away for an hour and shut up while the bands are playing.

yeah, i went to the mars volta in leeds last month and the crowd were awful... talking, chatting on their phones, looking at pix on their phones, you know... and the band were on cracking form too. nearly spoiled a good night until i decided to spite the buggers by enjoying it even more!

most gigs are like that these days though, it's getting well out of hand. the thing in today's society is it's all about being able to say you've done something as opposed to experiencing it properly when you're actually doing it. i love it most when they talk for the whole song then when it ends they whoop and cheer and clap like they've just been touched by the hand of robbie fowler or something. sorry scenes indeed! and one of the reasons i don't go to many gig these days.

one that was funny is a mogwai gig years ago (1997 or something) and they were playing on the floor in the cornerhouse in middlesbrough and this lad spent ages going on and on about how this was supposed to be a loud band and why were they so quiet, really annoying he was... and on and on... and then bang! in they come, nearly took his head off! so funny! i swear his eyes nearly popped out of his head and his ears started bleeding. twats all!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 03, 2010, 02:35
PENTAGRAM is going on tour, gonna see them in about 4 weeks! (Yes, Bobby Liebling the 70's doom metal freak!!!! He looks like a real maniac on the posters.)

MISSION OF BURMA are making their Madison debut in 2010 (already saw them back in 2002 immediately after the reunion, amazing to think they've already doubled their original 1979-1983 run!)

Yo La Tengo with Times New Viking ought to be a fun night of loud old-timey indie rockin.

That's just what I know about in the next few months.

Top of Wish List: the mysterious SUN ARAW!!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jan 03, 2010, 12:14
Ian, it looks like Ronnie James Dio is on the road to recovery, as Heaven And Hell have been added as special guests to the High Voltage Festival in July!

...And yep, don't get me started on the really annoying wankers, who think it's ok to talk loudly at gigs!
I got really wound up at a Boris gig in Sheffield a few years back, and ended up telling a group of twats to "Shut the fuck up, or go outside to talk".
It worked thanfully!
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Jan 03, 2010, 14:20
The only ones we have tix for are JEFF BECK at the O2 in Feb and FRANKIE BOYLE in October.

No doubt we'll catch up with NICK HARPER and FOCUS at some point. I'd also like to see NEARLY DAN again. We missed them last year. Oh and JULIAN of course if he ventures out anywhere.

Don't know about festivals yet. Might go to Cropredy or Cornbury (both very local to us but it largely depends who's playing).
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index