Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Dec 22, 2009, 09:59
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 20 December 2009 CE
Dec 21, 2009, 09:33
Steeleye Span: Please To See The King/Hark! The Village Wait

John Martyn: Bless The Weather/Solid Air/Inside Out/Live At Leeds/One World/Grace And Danger/On The Cobbles

Chick Corea/John McLaughlin: Five Peace Band
Charles Mingus: The Great Concert - Midnight At The Champs-Elysees
C.O.B: Moyshe McStiff & the Tartan Lancers
King Crimson: The Great Deceiver Vol. 1 & 2
Robet Wyatt: Rock Bottom
Tuung: Good Arrows
Hendrix: Live At Monterey
Bobby Crush: Bobby's Boogy Woogie Party Faves
Tangerine Dream: Phaedra
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 21, 2009, 12:08
Dec 21, 2009, 10:06
Misty in Roots - The John Peel Sessions
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen Deluxe Edition
Jah Shaka Meets Mad Professor At Ariwa Sounds

Minnie Riperton:
Her Chess Years
Come To My Garden
Rotary Connection
Alladin (w/ Rotary Connection)
Songs (w/ Rotary Connection)
Hey Love (w/ Rotary Connection)

The Art of Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 13:37
BUBBLEHEAD wrote:
And to complete the set i'll admit to having a bit of a fiddle with my little red one.

The pitch modulator's great fun !

heh! heh! Go for it! ;-)

The package and housing is superb too
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 17:05
Gyratory System- The Sound Board Breathes.
Bizzare and very British answer to the post-rock, post-techno groove of the likes of Battles and Holy Fuck, but made with electronics, bass, drums and lots of heavily treated trumpet. Ends up being reminiscent of Pigbag, 'On the Corner' Miles, and Barry Adamson among other things. Freaky and addictive.

Six Organs of Admittance- Empty the Sun.
New limited release from Ben Chasny, packaged with a novel of the same name by Joseph Mattson. Fairly typical fare, the band in far gentler and more reflective mood than their recent live shows. Includes a cover of 'Roll the Stone' by Epic Soundtracks.

Nurse With Wound- Paranoia in Hi-Fi.
Not bad for 99p brand new; one long track, a collage of found sounds in a Residents-style.

Baby Dee- A Book of Songs for Ann-Marie.
For the follow up to Safe Inside The Day, Dee finally gives a full release to the songs she'd been playing live previous to that record- a collection previously released on Durto Jnana in a very ltd run. Beautiful, straight-forward songs of hope and yearning, sung with harp and piano backing.

Crosby, Still and Nash- CSN.
Hmm; maybe I should have jumped ship on CSN before this slick-yet-patchy 1977 reunion- Crosby's voice and songwriting talent seem mostly sacrificed to his coke habit, and the others are on middle-aged autopilot for the most part. And yet- it's still a warm, human record and has at least one standout track in Graham Nash's baraoque, moody Blues-esque epic of acid-addled religious and existential confusion, 'Cathedral.'

Iggy Pop and James Williamson- Kill City.
I'm reading the Ig's bio at the mo, so dug this out. My girlfriend thought it was Alice Cooper. She has a point.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 21, 2009, 17:34
Dec 21, 2009, 17:34
BUBBLEHEAD wrote:
As always i enjoyed reading your comments Popel but have gotta say, what a gorgeous cat that is in your avatar, in fact i'm really quite jealous !

He's my parents new cat (ex-rescue home). He is extremely cute, if rather a handful. A few weeks ago whilst I was running a bath he ran up the stairs with a maniacal look on his face, jumped into the bath and then jumped straight out again and ran back down the stairs once he realised there was water in it (doh!).
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 22, 2009, 10:00
Dec 21, 2009, 17:40
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

I'm reading the Ig's bio at the mo, so dug this out. My girlfriend thought it was Alice Cooper. She has a point.

I thought it was the album the Rolling Stones have been trying and failing to make ever since "Goats' Head Soup" myself, but there you go.

I like the sense of sheer rock-bottom catharsis that this album exudes, though - I reckon it's on a par with "Sister Lovers" and "Tonight's The Night" in that respect. Iggy was a mental and physical wreck when "Kill City" was made and you can hear it in his singing, recorded whilst on day release from the mental hospital. He sounds utterly vanquished and worn out, as opposed to the maniacally defiant figure on the three Stooges albums.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 18:08
Popel Vooje wrote:
... he sounds utterly vanquished and worn out, as opposed to the maniacally defiant figure on the three Stooges albums.

Not surprising really, as it was recorded while they were probably pumping him with allsorts of stuff while he was at the 'mental hospital'!
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 18:22
"Nurse With Wound- Paranoia in Hi-Fi.
Not bad for 99p brand new; one long track, a collage of found sounds in a Residents-style."

Forgot all about that. Just rang my brother in Brighton and asked him to get me it for Xmas. Hope he can - I get the CD (no record shops where I live) and he gets to get me a present that only costs 99p. Weinars all round.

Thanks Hunter.

x
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 19:22
v/a - Wooden Guitar
Lightning Bolt - Earthly Delights
Ohnetrix point Never - Rifts
Zappa/Beefheart - Bongo Fury
C Joynes - The Running Board
Queens of the Stone Age - Rated R
v/a - A Soldier's Sad Story
Wolf Eyes - November 2006 tape
Jack Rose - Red Horse, White Mule/Opium Musick
Emeralds - What Happened
Arthur Russell - World of Echo
C Joynes - Revenants, Prodigies & the Restless Dead
Flying Lotus - Los Angeles
Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush the Show
Secret Affair - Glory Boys
Beastie Boys - Hello, Nasty!
v/a - Wavy Gravy
Ass Ponys - Mr Superlove
Love Battery - Far Gone
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Dec 21, 2009, 20:07
Popel Vooje wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

I thought it was the album the Rolling Stones have been trying and failing to make ever since "Goats' Head Soup" myself, but there you go.

I like the sense of sheer rock-bottom catharsis that this album exudes, though - I reckon it's on a par with "Sister Lovers" and "Tonight's The Night" in that respect. Iggy was a meetal and phtysical wreck when this was made and you can hear it in his singing - he sounds utterly vanquished and worn out, as opposed to the maniacally defiant figure on the three Stooges albums.

Indeed, it's a great album. I always thought of it as Stonesy, until she pointed out the Alice Cooper similarities. I think she meant it as a compliment! It's partly him singing in a higher register, and partly the piano and girly BVs augmenting the Detroit rock stomp. Of course, the Alice Cooper band played with the Stooges many times, and apparently James Williamson tried out for Alice around this time- it didn't work out when he came to blows with another band member.

I'd be interested to hear the original tapes, supposedly it was a lot more Stoogey before Williamson remixed it.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index