Kevin Ayers : Joy Of A Toy

plus various assorted single tracks.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1709 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 15 November 2009 CE
Nov 16, 2009, 10:49
Stevo wrote:
think he was a radio dj with a taste for playing bizarre recordings. There have been a number of compilations of these tracks over the years. things like Louis XIII's They're Coming To Take Me Away and Nervous Norvus's Transfusion among others.
stevo

That's the fella. No Nervous Norvus on this album unfortunately, but on the bright side no Weird Al Yankovic either, who he was also responsible for introducing to the world. It's a vinyl album from 1975 that I picked up in a charity shop, think it's the first of his compilations- a mixed bag, some pretty dated, unfunny stuff but does include the aforementioned 'They're Coming To Take Me Away,' plus tracks by Robert Crumb and Spike Jones, Doodles Weaver's 'Eleanor Rigby,' The Holy Modal Rounders' 'Boobs a lot', 'Who put the Benzedrine in Mrs Murphy's Ovaltine' by Harry 'the Hipster' Gibson, from 1944, and Jef Jaison's hippy ballad, 'Friendly Neighbourhood Narco Agent,' so all in all probably worth the £1.99 I spent.
carlyclub
carlyclub
128 posts

Edited Nov 16, 2009, 12:25
Nov 16, 2009, 12:14
Don't know if you have these already, but if you like much of the Dr Demento curated stuff, then get yourself over here:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/02/lux-and-ivys-favorites-mp3s.html

And here:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/03/lux-and-ivys-favorites-volume-twelve-the-lux-interior-memorial-edition-journey-into-outer-space-mp3s.html

And here:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/07/lux-and-ivys-favorites-volume-thirteen-mp3s.html

It's all fabulous - and a fitting tribute to the late great Lux Interior. Nervous Norvous' Transfusion is on Vol.1
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Edited Nov 16, 2009, 19:01
Nov 16, 2009, 13:56
A week away traveling in former Yugoslavia and I spent much of it listening to a cheap John Coltrane comp I bought for the car called 'Leapin': His Best Tunes' Which lead to check out Ascension on Spotify as well as some Languidity by Sun Ra. Apart from that my IPod was by turns playing

3rd - Portishead
Tarot Sport - Fuck Buttons
Headhunters - Herbie Hancock
Last King of Scotland as kindly donated to me by IanB (v.good btw)

Also I caught Simple Minds live in Banja Luka on account of being given a free ticket by some friends which, whilst I probably wouldn't have paid to see them, was fun as I got a bit of a fondness for some of the New Gold Dream material. Not really sure they would have broken even given the empty spaces in the crowd but those who did attend were pretty lively.
sanshee
sanshee
1080 posts

Nov 16, 2009, 14:16
Yeas, Ghostbox. A lovely little ethos, delicate and often ephemeral as it is. Once was described by a fan as 'more of a tendency than a movement', which is bang on.

To me The Advisory Circle stuff (the King of Woolworths bloke) is the best, especially 'Other Channels'. Somre really stunning moments on that.

I don't mind the cack-handed intellectualising. It's kind of charming, and as far as 'intellectualising' often goes hardly alone for it.

:-)

x
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Nov 16, 2009, 15:37
Monganaut wrote:
Really liked that particular Mount Vernons album, it recently got a re-release/repackage on the Ghostbox label(the guy Julian something who does those cool Broadcast covers label). Saw him (Drew)under the 'Astral Temple' moniker live at Megalithimania a good few years ago, it was an amazing set, something to do with exploring abandoned WWII bunkers..pychogeography kinda thing. He apparenly lectures in psychogeography or similar at Glasgow Uni now.
Guess you may enjoy some of the Ghostbox stuff, but i find it all a bit 'Vision On' to be honest. I like thse spooky radiophonic type noises, but I feel there's a bit of a clique/club going on and i've not been invited to partake. Again, great covers/logo/images though.

Yeah I'm dying to get me hands on a copy of that Broadcast/Focus Group album on Warp which just came out sounds great, and the titles and music of all this stuff is very reminiscent of another fella's work I really love who is also into the psychogeography stuff too
here's a link you might already know it
http://www.english-heretic.org.uk/Shop.htm

one of the other guys involved in some of that English Heretic stuff used to post on here going back about five or six years now
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Nov 16, 2009, 15:39
sanshee wrote:

To me The Advisory Circle stuff (the King of Woolworths bloke) is the best, especially 'Other Channels'. Somre really stunning moments on that.

not heard that one, will have to investigate, cheers :)
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Nov 16, 2009, 16:10
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Freur- Doot Doot.

Became Underworld, eventually..
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 16, 2009, 18:03
Nov 16, 2009, 17:54
carlyclub wrote:
Don't know if you have these already, but if you like much of the Dr Demento curated stuff, then get yourself over here:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/02/lux-and-ivys-favorites-mp3s.html

And here:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/03/lux-and-ivys-favorites-volume-twelve-the-lux-interior-memorial-edition-journey-into-outer-space-mp3s.html

And here:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/07/lux-and-ivys-favorites-volume-thirteen-mp3s.html

It's all fabulous - and a fitting tribute to the late great Lux Interior. Nervous Norvous' Transfusion is on Vol.1

Excellent stuff - thanks for the links. I have a few of those already, but by no means all of them.

Still nothing from "Mrs Miller Does Her Thing" - her elusive and long-deleted concept album about the joys of marijuana use - though. Think I'm going to saturate Joe Foster at Rev-Ola records with differently addressed e-mails campaigning for a re-issue of that particular lost nugget.
Robot Emperor
Robot Emperor
762 posts

Nov 16, 2009, 21:07
Yay, Union Carbide Productions. Great. Only have "The Golden Age Of..." best of. Best album?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index