Unsung Forum »
"Horrorcore".... what next?

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Re:
Oct 08, 2009, 16:22
I think then that militant atheism is taking the place of Christianity and Islam in oppressing people. Just look at how many people Stalin killed...
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 16:24
http://www.guba.com/watch/3000085741/Super-Furry-Animals-Run-Christian-Run

Check that for a death toll
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 16:30
What one band says doesn't say anything.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 16:33
what the bloody hell has Stalin got to do with this argument? is he currently involved in "militant atheism"? What is "militant atheism" anyway? Surely atheism is just atheism? You either believe in some mythical sky god or you don't.
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 08, 2009, 16:39
Oct 08, 2009, 16:37
Squid Tempest wrote:
Surely atheism is just atheism? You either believe in some mythical sky god or you don't.

Nope. What about Taoists and similar ? It's still a childlike metaphysical oogly boogly collection of internally inconsistent shite, but hey, they don't have a sky god/creator.

This is what really fucks me off about militant aetheists, the way they lump a shitload of incompatible belief systems into the same basket of piss poor analysis.

Edit : However, the stalin reference is a bit dumb. Sorry.

Edit2: Arguably, the Norse cosmic cow, ball of brine myth aint actually a sky god myth either tbh.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 16:40
Well Stalin killed more people than any exclusively Christian government ever did. You don't hear that twat Christopher Hitchens face up to that fact...

True that Fundamentalist Christianity can be quite murderous but I think atheists are just as capable of being intolerant and fascist. Frankly you pointing the finger at a Christian saying he's evil is no different from vice-versa... I have friends in the local music scene who are Christian and I don't think of them as bastards.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 16:41
stray wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Surely atheism is just atheism? You either believe in some mythical sky god or you don't.

Nope. What about Taoists and similar ? It's still a childlike metaphysical oogly boogly collection of internally inconsistent shite, but hey, they don't have a sky god/creator.

This is what really fucks me off about militant aetheists, the way they lump a shitload of incompatible belief systems into the same basket of piss poor analysis.

Edit : However, the stalin reference is a bit dumb. Sorry.

So is taoism atheism? I would have thought that it isn't a religion as such, more a philosophy. does it actually deny any gods? or believe in any gods?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 16:42
Lawrence wrote:
Well Stalin killed more people than any exclusively Christian government ever did. You don't hear that twat Christopher Hitchens face up to that fact...

But did Stalin do it in the name of atheism?

*note that I don't know anything about Stalin, so this is a genuine question!
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 16:43
stray wrote:
Squid Tempest wrote:

Spot on. About the Stalin reference, I'm just saying I think militant atheism is just as dangerous as religion in itself.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Oct 08, 2009, 16:44
Russian Communism was essentially anti-religion/atheist.
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index