Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2009, 12:09
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 13 September 2009 CE
Sep 14, 2009, 12:09
Fugazi related projects week for me, mostly. Thanks for the prompt Texlahoma.

The Evens - The Evens, Get Evens. Really love this, a lot, I wish there was more. Ian Mackaye and Amy Farina.

Joe Lally - Nothing is Underrated. A serious grower this.

Ataxia - Automatic Writing. Not so sure about this, but 'dust' is great.

The Warmers - The Warmers. A classic that I missed first time around.

We have an improv gig on the 19th, and it'll probably be a very DC influenced thing now thanks to the above listening.
a23
a23
1004 posts

Sep 14, 2009, 14:07
Beatles - mono box
I have found this quite an interesting listen. I never really listened much to the beatles & indeed only previously owned the White album & sgt pepper, which i thought over rated. Sure i knew the beatles singles & odd tracks, but most of these albums in the box set are new to me. And it's mostly been a great trip - Pepper in mono is a different class to the stereo mix i've heard (not the new remaster), white album & revolver are excellent too. Enjoying the (somewhat expensive) box as much as i hoped.

Beatles - Abbey Rd / Let it be (stereo remasters

Can - Future Days

Agitation free - 2nd

MBV - Loveless - another album i always thought over hyped, but really enjoyed it on Saturday night - definitely something to be enjoyed at one sitting rather than dipping in & out of

Little Boots - Hands - insanely catchy numbers (well, at least the first 5 tracks)

Onna - Onna - collected tracks from the late 80s - mostly the kind of melancholic gloomy japrock that i like

new order - power, corruption, lies

13th floor elevators - headstone
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Sep 14, 2009, 14:17
The Residents : Meet The Residents (Mono)

Caroliner live
9-10 Ypsilanti Michigan
9-11 Detroit
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1707 posts

Sep 14, 2009, 15:47
OMO- The White Album. A rather cheekily titled but wonderful piece of post punk art school electronica. With guitars. Sardonic spoken female vocals make this sound somewhat like a 21st Century Flying Lizards.

Gliss- Devotion Implosion. Derivative but listenable post-Mary Chain alt rock. Kinda Raveonettes meets Garbage, or to be really unkind, BRMC meets Sheryl Crow. Actually better when it stops trying to be grungy and gives in to its shiny pop instincts. Playing in the background at a GAP near you, probably.

The Hidden Cameras- Origin: Orphan. A band I've never really investigated before, but their fourth album is a winner! Eclectic, psychedelic dancey post-everything indie rock. Marvellous.

A Place To Bury Strangers- Exploding Head. The Strangers come up trumps on their much-anticipated (round here, anyway) second LP. Business as usual- still on a My Bloody Sisters of Mary Chain tip- but with a bit more texture, light and shade. Excellent stuff.

Stephen Duffy and The Lilac Time- Memory and Desire. Pleasant 2CD retrospective of fey folk-pop ditherings.

The Byrds- Ballad of Easy Rider.
The Pixies- Bossanova.
The Pixies- Tromp Le Monde.
The Teardrop Explodes- Wilder.
Killing Joke- Revelations.
The Monkees- Head.
Mike Heron- Smiling Men With Bad Reputations.
Durutti Column- Keep Breathing.
LCD Soundsystem- The Sound of Silver.
Various artists- Africa Rising.
The Television Personalities- Privilege.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Sep 14, 2009, 22:23
earthlingfred93 wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children; Geogaddi (coincidentally like Eric. I listened to these while cleaning the windows in a rare burst of housework enthusiasm, it seemed to fit the mood for some reason).

Coincidentally like Fred, I mean. No idea who Eric is...

LOL!....Nice one Ernie

I think the brain is truly broken!
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Sep 14, 2009, 22:26
IanB wrote:
The Horrors - both albums. Bubblegum gloom-flavoured post-punk revivalism. Clever and fun. Are to The Cure what McFly are to Cheap Trick.

Ha ha ha! Nice.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Sep 14, 2009, 22:29
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
OMO- The White Album. A rather cheekily titled but wonderful piece of post punk art school electronica. With guitars. Sardonic spoken female vocals make this sound somewhat like a 21st Century Flying Lizards.

Gliss- Devotion Implosion. Derivative but listenable post-Mary Chain alt rock. Kinda Raveonettes meets Garbage, or to be really unkind, BRMC meets Sheryl Crow. Actually better when it stops trying to be grungy and gives in to its shiny pop instincts. Playing in the background at a GAP near you, probably.

The Hidden Cameras- Origin: Orphan. A band I've never really investigated before, but their fourth album is a winner! Eclectic, psychedelic dancey post-everything indie rock. Marvellous.

A Place To Bury Strangers- Exploding Head. The Strangers come up trumps on their much-anticipated (round here, anyway) second LP. Business as usual- still on a My Bloody Sisters of Mary Chain tip- but with a bit more texture, light and shade. Excellent stuff.

Stephen Duffy and The Lilac Time- Memory and Desire. Pleasant 2CD retrospective of fey folk-pop ditherings.

The Byrds- Ballad of Easy Rider.
The Pixies- Bossanova.
The Pixies- Tromp Le Monde.
The Teardrop Explodes- Wilder.
Killing Joke- Revelations.
The Monkees- Head.
Mike Heron- Smiling Men With Bad Reputations.
Durutti Column- Keep Breathing.
LCD Soundsystem- The Sound of Silver.
Various artists- Africa Rising.
The Television Personalities- Privilege.

High quality stuff here!
keith a
9573 posts

Sep 14, 2009, 23:09
LP’s
UNCONFIRMED REPORTS – Akatombo

S/T – Black Sabbath
Heavy rock isn’t really my bag, but I've definitely got a soft spot for this. I could probably manage without some of the soloing on The Warning, but otherwise I like this a lot. Especially Black Sabbath itself.

S/T – Dogntank
Can’t say it exactly blew me away on first play.

BEERS STEERS & QUEERS – Revolting Cocks
Great to hear this one again. It might take a while to get going - the opening (title) track is enjoyable in a daft rather than great way and some folk might consider the cover of Olivier Newton John’s Physical a mere novelty record (though I don’t) - but after that the album really hits the mark. And the thirteen and a half minute Get Down is immense!

FLOWERS OF ROMANCE – PIL
Banging The Door, for one, is fab. Also gave the mighty Death Disco a couple of plays.

SOME GIRLS – Rolling Stones
Funny one this, isn’t it. You know it’s a pretty lightweight affair, but you can’t help enjoying most of it. I could probably manage to live without wanting to hear Faraway Eyes ever again if Mick’s vocals weren’t so funny.

THERE’S A RIOT GOIN’ ON - Sly & the Family Stone

ITCHYCOO PARK (THE BEST OF...) – The Small Faces
Great singles like the title track and Lazy Sunday, but – and I know this will be considered heresy in some parts – some of the rockier moments here are pretty crap IMO.

THE COLOUR OF SPRING – Talk Talk

COLLISION DRIVE - Alan Vega

SEEING FOR MILES – V/A
Free cd with this months Uncut. Some really good moments here.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 14, 2009, 23:32
Sep 14, 2009, 23:22
Volcano Choir - Unmap
Sublime and blissed-out post-rock emanating from Justin Vernon aka (Bon Iver) in collaboration with Collections of Colonised Bees. One of the surprise highlights of the year so far.

A Place to Bury Strangers - Exploding Head
As hinted by Mr Wolfe above, this proper full-length debut is a more unified effort than their s/t CD (inevitable as that was recorded over a four year period) but IMO loses some of the lo-fi charm of its predecessor. A pretty invigorating cobweb-cleaning blast nonetheless.blast nonetheless.

The Entrance Band - s/t
Falls somewhere betwixt Comets on Fire, the Black Angels and Led Zeppelin. Employs an armoury of mouldy rock cliches but with sufficient charm and panache to carry it off.

MGMT - Time To Pretend
Their first EP, from 2005. Decidedly more home-made than the major label extravaganza "Oracular Spectacular", if not quite as fully realised in terms of production. Songwriting is just as good though, especially the superb title track.

Husker Du - Flip Your Wig
The Huskers at their mid-80s apex, on the cusp of signing to WEA but as yet unencumbered by the dogged world-weariness that characterised their last two LPs.

England's Glory - The Legendary Lost Album
Often unfairly regarded as a a mere prequel to the Only Ones. this endearingly raw collection of demos from 1973 has a similar off-the-cuff intensity as Lou Reed's s/t solo debut and features some of Peter Perrett's best songs, such as "The Wide Waterway" and "First Time I Saw You".

The Flaming Lips - Hit to Death in the Future Head.
Seamlessly scuzzy but inventive psych-rock classic from 1992 that's still my most played of their LPs.

Clear Light - s/.t
One off Elektra release by this LA-based outfit from 1967 which falls somewhere between the theatrical bombast of the Doors and the sinister yin/yang beauty of Love without quite having the depth and originality to match up to either. Perfectly listenable nonetheless, and their re-working of Tom Paxyon's "Mr. Blue" is pleasingly bonkers.

Meat Puppets - Up On The Sun
Still one of the most enduring examples of psychedelia, 80s style. I love the all-pervasive feeling of blissed out, dreamlike detachment from the world that permeates every aspect of this album from the heat-haze guitar textures to the wilfully off-key vocals. What enables them to get away with such a seemingly slapdash approach is the fact that Curt Kirkwood was (and occasionally still is) a classic songwriter and a Mr. Hookline of all time.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Sep 14, 2009, 23:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCj2MO02AE
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index