Jul 06, 2009, 10:53
Barclay James Harvest - Everyone Is Everybody Else
Albion Band - Battle Of The Field
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Santana - Abraxas
Kingbathmat - Fantactic Freak Show Carnival
Stackridge - The Man In The Bowler Hat
PFM - Stati Di Immaginazione
Giles, Giles & Fripp - The Cheerful Insanity Of....
Pink Floyd - Pulse
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 11:13
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 5 July 2009 CE
Jul 06, 2009, 11:09
The Fall - Dragnet / Bend Sinister

Paul Schutze - Site Anubis

An aquired taste for most folk, probably as Schutze makes attempts to do a sort of updated version of the 'electric Miles' sound, which you could imagine gets howls of derision from some music quarters, I like it coz it sounds great ;-)

Line up:
Paul Schütze: keyboards, tapes, sampling
Raoul Björkenheim: guitars
Julian Priester: trombone
Bill Laswell: bass
Lol Coxhill: soprano sax
Alex Buess: bass clarinet
Dirk Wachtelaer: drums

Try it, you may just like it...

http://bravojuju.blogspot.com/2007/10/paul-schutze-site-anubis-1996.html

Jah Bunny - Dubbs International

Really great to hear this again after such a long time, I've now got it in digital form of course.
A great mellow album from the drummer out of Matumbi.

Fleet Foxes - Sun Giant

Boyd Rice & Friends - Music, Martinis and Misanthropy

Amon Düül - Paradieswärts Düül

Great dragging this out again, one of the most relaxing albums you could own.

Throbbing Gristle - Thee Psychick Sacrifice / TG Now / The Third Mind Movements

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

V/A - Ah Feel Like Ahcid: 24 American Psychedelic Artefacts From The EMI Vaults

Have a grand week all ;-D
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 11:11
Rolling Ronnie wrote:

Giles, Giles & Fripp - The Cheerful Insanity Of....

I really love that album! ;-)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 11:15
dave clarkson wrote:
... fender piano and bass clarinet - always a winner.

Well hell yeah ;-D
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 11:39
Bit of an Apollolaan fest:

OldMan- Stay Gold
Texlahoma- The Rites of Spring
Folk and Violence- Wolf Blues
plus some other bits...

Also:

sunn0)))- Monoliths & Dimensions
Funkadelic- The Best of (or something, I hate best ofs but it's what saturday afternoon demanded)
spaceship- Live at the iBar
Brain Donor- Wasted Fuzz Excessive

Must get: Blur Live in Hyde Park, Thurs 02 July, we were there and it was ace. Graham's guitar proper loud and allowed to roam, much better than on record.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2009, 17:00
Jul 06, 2009, 11:47
bubblehead2 wrote:

13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS - Sign Of The Three Eyed Men - Exemplary in every respect so hats off to Paul Drummond for doing such a brilliant job. This really is a complete revelation for those of us only familiar with crap mastered versions of their output. Er, gotta agree with Stacey that the gobblin' turkey electric jug is just a bit OTT at times though. Some of the live cuts on here are absolute killers BTW. Oh, took a listen to some early Grateful Dead from the Golden Road box as a comparison, i should admit i'm no Deadhead, but IMO the Elevators were streets, make that, leagues ahead back in 66/67.

It is a revelation, isn't it? Previous vinyl-sourced masters always sounded so enervated by comparison. The box set makes it obvious that, in addition to hbeing visionary forebears of both psychedelia and punk, they were also nun-eating rock monster capable of generating serious white- knuckle levels of intensity, espeially live. I think the jug appearing on every song was partly Lelan Rogers' fault - according to "Eye Mind" he wanted them to keep it predominant in their mixes because it was a gimmick that distinguished them from other bands (as if they needed one!). Still, it's quite effective - reminds me of how Brian Eno later used synths in Roxy Music to add an eerie otherworldly texture to the songs (and how Allen Ravenstine used them in Pere Ubu, for that matter).
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 12:36
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Young Marble Giants- Colossal Youth. It pains me that I am too old and jaded to get away with making a record as wonderfully naive and untutored sounding as this masterpiece.

That really is one Unsung album.
I got it on CD (with bonus tracks) last year, after not hearing it for a good 25 years.
It's a piece of pure class!

;-)
keith a
9573 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 13:23
Jul 06, 2009, 13:05
LP’S

REMAIN IN LIGHT – Talking Heads
With The Great Curve sounding especially fab...

ABATTOIR DOGS – V/A
I must admit I had forgotten all about this Quentin Tarrantino homage cassette, free with the now long departed Vox mag. And I’d forgotten just how much I love I Walked All Night by The Embers. A truly fabulous track.

SATURN STRIP – Alan Vega
Alan Vega has made some great tracks over the tears, but few are better than Saturn Drive, the opening number here.

Also...
SONGS THE LORD TAUGHT US / OFF THE BONE - The Cramps
UNICORN – Tyrannosaurus Rex
THE BEST OF...- The Sweet
INCHPINCHERS – Wailing Souls
DESTINATION BEAUTIFUL – Andy White

LIVE AND RADIO STUFF – Julian Cope, Peter Perrett/The One, Ravishing Beauties, Super Furry Animals (Peel Session 2001), Syd Barrett.

45’s
BREAKFAST – Associates
Truly one of the all-time greats. I made the mistake of trying to sing along. Blimey. And Billy made it sound so easy! ; )

A BAO A QU EP – Virginia Astley
Blimey. Not heard this in a long time. English tweeness taken to almost ridiculous lengths, but strangely moving at times.

CHE – Sunn O))) /Pansonic
You pretty much know what this is gonna sound like. The real surprise on this ep though is Stephen Burroughs version of Goodbye Darling. Whereas Alan Vega’s original was an almost throwaway bop, Burroughs keeps it simple with just voice and acoustic and makes you realise what a dark song it really is.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 14:27
Jim Tones wrote:
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:

Young Marble Giants- Colossal Youth. It pains me that I am too old and jaded to get away with making a record as wonderfully naive and untutored sounding as this masterpiece.

That really is one Unsung album.
I got it on CD (with bonus tracks) last year, after not hearing it for a good 25 years.
It's a piece of pure class!

;-)

It is indeed a strange and unique record, even by early '80s standards. Unsurprisingly it didn't work particularly well when I saw them play it live at ATP - the songs are much too hushed and intimate to come across in such surroundings, plus the between-song silences and breaks for re-tuning disrupted the flow of the album somewhat - but that doesn't detract from the compelling starkness of the original recordings.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 14:50
Jul 06, 2009, 14:31
Hail! m/

quite a lot this week!

Astra - The Weirding. Immense!

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin. Great melodic death with metal amazing female vocalist. Angela Gossow, diminutive German rock pixie opens her gob and the most incredible death roaring comes out. It's not right but it is great. Even better/weirder live

Kraftwerk - Autobahn
Kraftwerk - The Man Machine.

Supergrass - Diamond Hoo Haa. Picked up for the princely sum of £1 in Fopp. A band I'd long relinquished but I heard some tracks from this awhile ago. It's a properly good rock n' roll record. Pleasantly surprised and good for them!

Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour. Brooding and epic metal from the States.

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour
Pendulum - In Silico. Played in the pod post-Glastonbury following their demolition of the Other Stage

Mr Oizo - Lambsanger. Excellent and vaguely bonkers electronica from the puppet wielding French dude that must have had one of the oddest number 1 hits ever on the back of an old Levis campaign. Nice and twisted homage to Un Chien Andalou on the sleeve art too. Flat Eric lives in my pod now. True.

Kylie - X. Not as great as the stripped back electro of Baody Language but a groovy selection of electro glam poppery. Weird how Little Boots, La Roux et al are hogging the limelight in an NME cred way when this is pretty much the same thing to my ears.

Richie Hawtin - Electronic Adventures. Old Mixmag freebie of superb minimal techno.

Vampire Weekend - S/T. Concise and boppy US indie with Afro-beat influences. Boingy.

The Longe Range - Madness & Me. Hmmm bit disappointing in parts. One of the Orbital brothers with a 'new band'. Tellingly, the best bits sound like vintage Orbital.

Cathedral - Garden of Unearthly Delights. Heavy, raw and trippy in parts with a 25 minute stoner epic track as a finale.

Stray - Time Machine. Extensive 2cd comp of 2nd division heroes. Some top tunes here.

Amorphous Androgynous - Tales of Ephidrina. At last, got it on CD (£3!!) after owning on ye olde cassette for years. Like it!

Ozric Tentacles - The Yum Yum Tree. Very enjoyable newie from da Tentacles

Manic Street Preachers - Send Away the Tigers. Another cheapo bargain, bought on the strength of a couple of songs I heard as singles. A really good album, and easily their best and rockingest since "Everthing Must Go" IMO (not heard the new one yet)

Manu Dibango - The Anthology. disc one. Afro-beat n jazz sax n vibes dude funks for you!

Have a nice week Pop Lickers x
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index