Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 5 July 2009 CE
Jul 04, 2009, 01:20
paradox wrote:
MMM...

Still too early, as we have two days of listening left!

Hmmm. I can see I'm not the only person that Mr Apes is pissing off by his early postings.

I used to look forward to reading this thread!

NB If you can't remember by the end of the week what you've listened to, Mr Apes, save it on a word document and post it at the end of the week, la!!
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Jul 04, 2009, 10:49
Well, i was trying to be polite about it, but yeah,what Keith said!
Buck Flair
Buck Flair
796 posts

Jul 04, 2009, 13:29
Set my alarm to wake me with Hendrix's version Star Spangled Banner.

So far today been in the garden listening to

Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
Mark Fry - Dreaming With Alice
Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
Pink Floyd - Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn
13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1708 posts

Jul 05, 2009, 22:19
Blondie- The Hunter. Unfairly maligned 70s/80s era swansong LP- No killer singles maybe, but a laid back, funky groove and is pretty experimental in its way.

The Felice Brothers- S/T. A mate sent me a CD-R of this; it started off very well but went on too long, I thought.

Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts from the British Empire and Beyond. Still working my way through this 4 CD box from the library. Some filler, inevitably, but 50p extremely well spent nevertheless!

Fats Navarro Memorial Volume One. Hot 40s bop. A great palette cleanser after all that UK psych.

Michael Nesmith- Loose Salute. More than just a country rock album, this too is very experimental and innovative in a low key, melodic way.

The Doors- The Soft Parade. YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!!!!!

White Hills- Heads on Fire. On vinyl. Stoogewind!

Young Marble Giants- Colossal Youth. It pains me that I am too old and jaded to get away with making a record as wonderfully naive and untutored sounding as this masterpiece.
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 00:39
All old stuff this week.

Laboratorium - modern pentathlon. Polish jazz album recorded in Warsaw July 1976 (same time the sex pistols were doing the first gigs in manchester). Found it in a charity shop. Line up includes fender piano and bass clarinet - always a winner.

Kraftwerk - Tour de france soundtracks. Dug it out after the velodrome gig last thursday. Great album. Drinking with a guy called Ron Wright after the gig - nice chap - says he was involved in the sheffield experimental scene in the 80's with Cab Voltaire and playing in the Box and Hula. Does anyone on here from Sheffield know about him?

Stan Tracey - Captain Adventure LP vinyl. Another good find - on the steam label 1975. Recorded live at the 100 club.

The Room - Clear. Eventually found a copy of this unsung album from great Liverpool band of yesteryear.

Have a good week.

8)
ron
ron
706 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 03:27
Re: STOOL day jaxun five alive double naught nine uncommon epoch....
Jul 06, 2009, 03:24
whilst a cruzin'... ultra sun-day ssslllooowww in me ultra fffaaasssttt autogedden sled.... BLASTIN "come the revolution and there will be no reserection for you..." was flipped off and honked at by neighbor in a hurry... to get to church...

x
x
x
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 05:43
Jul 06, 2009, 05:38
Haven't posted for ages so here's what's been floating my boat of late...

THE FIELD - Yesterday And Today - In the same vein as From Here We Go Sublime but more substantial perhaps. Live drumming c/o Battles dude John Stanier provides additional interest and an extra dimension IMO. Epic, almost Krauty, closing track Sequenced stands out on intial plays.

SMOG - Rain On Lens - I loved Knock Knock but never got around to getting this back in the day, what an idiot, it's superb, many thanks to Keith for the turn on ( and for the tasty Springsteen cover of Suicide's Dream Baby Dream, no E-Street band here, just organ and vocal, which is just how it should be really )

SUNN O))) - Monoliths & Dimensions - Heard this described as coffee table doom in one review, hehe. Me, i think it's the best thing they've ever done.

13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS - Sign Of The Three Eyed Men - Exemplary in every respect so hats off to Paul Drummond for doing such a brilliant job. This really is a complete revelation for those of us only familiar with crap mastered versions of their output. Er, gotta agree with Stacey that the gobblin' turkey electric jug is just a bit OTT at times though. Some of the live cuts on here are absolute killers BTW. Oh, took a listen to some early Grateful Dead from the Golden Road box as a comparison, i should admit i'm no Deadhead, but IMO the Elevators were streets, make that, leagues ahead back in 66/67.

And as it's been so hot and sunny the CD player in the car has been rammed with the following...

SOUL JAZZ TROPICALIA COMPILATION
MAX ROMEO - War Ina Babylon
CULTURE - Two Sevens Clash
THE CONGOS - Heart Of The Congos
MONKEES - Home made compilation
BEACH BOYS - Very best Of...

Hardly an original selection but immensely enjoyable nevertheless !

Load of other stuff that i haven't got the time to comment on right now too

Happy listening everyone,

Mark x
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2009, 08:56
Jul 06, 2009, 08:52
Arthur Blythe - Montreal 1981
Fantastic set from the Blythe Spirit period. Chamber Jazz steeped in Gospel but not in a bad way.

Eddie Hinton - Very Extremely Dangerous
A largely brilliant Country Soul set from 78.

Michael Chapman - Fully Qualified Survivor & Rainmaker
Some artists just don't get their due until it is too late. Barring a Floyd collaboraiton here and a Zep seal of approval there you've got to figure that Roy Harper would be languishing in the same critical backwater.

The Pop - The Pop & Go!
Pitched somewhere between The Cars and Cheap Trick. Lost Power Pop semi-classics with just a hint of New York angularity here and there. Sound a bit like a version of the early Human League armed with Les Pauls rather than SH7s

TRex - Electric Warrior
I know people swear by the folk hobbit records (territory best left to Donovan) but this is far and away my favourite 40 minutes by the thinking man's Alvin Stardust. Nicely balanced between stompers and strummers. Great cover too.

I also found a couple of cassettes of pre Punk Nicky Horne shows that I taped off Capital at around the age of 13 or 14. Most of it was soft-rock dross and fag end pomp but there were always a few diamonds in there. Which brings me to ...

10cc - How Dare You
Not the last record from the English Steely Dan but the last one that mattered. Great tunes and they somehow manage to be even more misanthropic than the Beautiful South. Akin to the Sunflower era Beach Boys but with lyrics by Frank Zappa.

LZ - Presence
Page's shining forty five minutes. Very little single note widdly but the most inventive mainstream guitar record of the era.

Heart - Mistral Wind (various versions)
The best LZ number that Page / Plant never wrote. Nancy and Ann Wilson are cruelly under-rated musicians. On their day, right up there and still capable of great shows. Turning the usual career trajectory on its head, they are probably better live now than they were in 78. Shame about the big hair albums but Queen could have done a lot worse than get Ann Wilson rather than Paul Rogers.

Joe Walsh - So What
Another too-clever-by-half rock record from the pre Punk era. Would have been interesting to see what might have happened if he had teamed up with Steely Dan rather than The Eagles.

Man - Padget Rooms
With so many great live records in their catalogue it's hard to pick one out but until someone releases a complete version of Maximum Darkness this is pretty close to being the best of the lot.

Rod Stewart - Olympia Dec 1976
Well beyond his peak as a recording artist but be could still turn in a very decent if occasionally schlocky 90 minutes. The musical equivalent of a semi-interested Stan Bowles performance.
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 09:49
Bill Callahan touring soon too...

Tue 18 Aug Bill Callahan (Smog) St Georges Church
Brighton
Wed 19 Aug Bill Callahan (Smog) Union Chapel
London
Thu 20 Aug Bill Callahan (Smog) Union Chapel
London
Sun 23 Aug Bill Callahan (Smog) Stereo
Glasgow
Mon 24 Aug Bill Callahan (Smog) The Deaf Institute
Manchester
Wed 26 Aug Bill Callahan (Smog) Bristol Thekla
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 10:43
Camel - Moonmadness
Lovely gentle prog for the summer daze.

Rush - Caress of Steel
Not so gentle!

Third Ear Band - Alchemy/Elements
Interesting acoustic/classical instrumentation playing hypnotic weirdness. I know Elements from the past, but hadn't heard Alchemy before. Will be listening to this more.

White Hills - Heads on Fire
I like the "Stoogewind" tag given to this by someone else in this thread (sorry, can't recall who wrote that at the moment). Blimmin great album anyway.

Yes - Close to the Edge
Because I just have to listen to this once in a while!

Astra - The Weirding
Splendid stuff, which has inspired me to listen to lots of Camel lately for some reason.

Hawkwind - Hawkwind
Bits of the White Hills album reminded me of this, and I enjoyed giving it a listen.

Sunn O)))/Boris - Altar
Nadja - Radiance of Shadows
Focus - Live at the Rainbow
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index