Warning - Warning
DK - Plastic Surgery Disasters / In God we Trust
The Residents - Vileness fats (DVD)
Subway - Subway II
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 5 July 2009 CE
Jul 06, 2009, 21:29
Well, here goes. I'll avoid the 'n' word this time, as I don't want to have to use the 'f' word if some miserable 'w' comes out of the woodwork to complain.

The Avalanches: 'Since I Left You'

Kate Bush: 'The Sensual World'

Gotan Project: 'Inspiracion / Esperacion'

David Holmes: 'Ocean's 13 O.S.T.'

Drugstore: 'White magic For Lovers'

Dreadzone Soundsystem: 'Beatz & Bobz'

Horace Andy: 'The Prime of Horace Andy'

Utter brilliance at every turn! Have it.
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Jul 06, 2009, 21:58
yeah I bought the field cd a few weeks back. I gotta say its not made any impression on me. Gonna give it another spin on me ipod
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Jul 07, 2009, 02:05
Great news, I like his new CD too but had no idea he was touring. I'll be booking a pew for one of those Union Chapel dates so thanks for the heads up !
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2009, 03:15
Jul 07, 2009, 02:40
Hi PV, i agree the jug is absolutely intrinsic to their sound too, there's no mistaking an Elevators track when you here one that's for sure,it's just that sometimes i wish it was a little less frenetic !

The Live in California CD is just fantastic, it's hard to believe how tight they were considering they were tripping on stage, i was expecting someting much, much looser. Oh, and as good as the cover versions are on that disc they just pale against the immense live versions of their own toons. I seem to remember reading in Eye Mind that they included covers to allow the audience to relax a little before hitting them in the ears with the lysergic evangelism of their originals. Gotta say it worked for me 43 years after the fact !

The Eno/Roxy, Ravenstine/Ubu comments make complete sense too, i love both of those bands and that underlying weirdness is one of the principal reasons they stood out from the crowd ( er, along with Roxy's visual appeal of course ! ). Another band from the 70's i'd put in that bracket would be Hawkwind, they wer never really quite the same for me once Dik Mik and Del Dettmar left and took their sonic space squall with them.
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Jul 07, 2009, 03:08
Jul 07, 2009, 02:45
I think it's worth sticking with, the first time i played it it kinda washed over me. More volume / closer listening / er, and a more relaxed state of mind made it come alive for me.

Not sure about that Korgi's cover though, it certainly didn't make me laugh as much as when the Lionel Richie ' Hello ' full sample was revealed at the end of one of the cuts ( name escapes me right now ) on HWGTS !
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Jul 07, 2009, 02:57
keith wrote:

45’s
BREAKFAST – Associates
Truly one of the all-time greats. I made the mistake of trying to sing along. Blimey. And Billy made it sound so easy! ; )

LOL ! I hope that you were alone and that the neighbours were out at the time, otherwise someone may have accidentally called an ambulance on your behalf. ;-)
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Jul 07, 2009, 09:36
'Very, very nice' said a man in the crowd

;-)
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Jul 07, 2009, 09:42
I thought you'd like 'Sensual World', magnificent, isn't it. What do you make of Aerial?
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index