Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
OMD - Love Them, Hate Them, or somewhere in between?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: OMD - Love Them, Hate Them, or somewhere in between?
Apr 09, 2009, 17:50
...perish the thought but you never know - Tones might be working the routine out.

8)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 17:53
dave clarkson wrote:
...perish the thought but you never know - Tones might be working the routine out.

8)

I think it's the way to go, I really do.
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 18:23
Hangs head in shame!

Yep, twas me, but my vitriol is aimed towards the man himself, and not necessarily towards the band.

There is no fucking way that the same jukebox moment would happen with O.M.fucking D.

SHITE!
Boxnudger
Boxnudger
246 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 22:33
I still think they don't get the credit they deserve - whenever the 80s are back in vogue (approximately every 2 years at the moment) they often get overlooked, even though they were a rare "pop" band who tried to give you a science/history/history of science lesson in their songs and wore their Kraftwerk/Neu influences on their sleeve.

An ex-colleague of mine used to go to the same clubs as Andy McCluskey in the 80s and he apparently had a reputation for getting up and (bad) dancing whenever Enola Gay came up.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 22:42
Didn't listen to much after the first album as I thought the singles were shit! Really liked Electricity when it came out on Factory; a gust of fresh air at odds with the usual diet to make us gather our raincoats tighter around our ears. Also, Pretending To See The Future was a great set finisher, if I recall correctly.

:o)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Apr 10, 2009, 18:34
Arrrrrrgh!!!
Apr 10, 2009, 18:32
Moon Cat wrote:
dave clarkson wrote:

8)

I think it's the way to go, I really do.

I'm having trouble wearing the same size strides!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D5FNTDqCrA

>>sound of glass on the cringe-o-meter breaking
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 10, 2009, 18:53
unsung influence on ZZ Top apparently.

Keep getting Enola Gaye running through my head at odd moments.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Apr 10, 2009, 18:55
elegant chaos wrote:
Somewhere in between - loved the first three singles - Andy McCluskey was a bit of a cock dancing onstage -

Apparently Billy Gibbons really picked up on that after what i assume was a festival appearance coincidence between the 2 bands. & now everybody thinks he invented it.
Harry Worth
Harry Worth
40 posts

Apr 11, 2009, 16:35
They were rather wonderful at the beginning, full of that late 1970s amazement that you could form a band, play your own music and others would like it. Quite experimental in their own way early on.

They got too commercial after A&M for my liking.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Apr 11, 2009, 18:59
For my sins, I think the early version up to Dazzle Ships was great - though I recall my Dazzle Ships review getting nixed from Unsung, so I'm guessing not many fans here?

After that they shortened the name, hooked up with Virgin, got session musos/brass sections in, and sold out badly...the odd decent song was produced - Junk Culture, Tesla Girls, Talking Loud & Clear, 88 Seconds...(their metal song!!), Crush, If You Leave, Forever Live & Die, Pandora's Box, Walking on the Milky Way...but a case of diminishing returns. & McCluskey gave us Atomic Kitten, which is pretty cruel..

But the early stuff - 4 Neu!, Stanlow, Statues, Sealand, New Stone Age, Electricity, Messages, Enola Gay, Genetic Engineering, This is Helena etc was great...though possibly if you have a weakness for post-punk electronic music made by folk who looked like bank managers...
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index