Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
OMD - Love Them, Hate Them, or somewhere in between?

Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
wildswan89
wildswan89
111 posts

OMD - Love Them, Hate Them, or somewhere in between?
Apr 09, 2009, 13:06
What do you think of the band Orchestral Manuevers in the Dark?

I think they had a few good songs out in the 80s, like Enola Gay (my favorite song by them), So In Love and Forever Live and Die. If You Leave is an OK song as well even though it is a little bit overplayed (every time I hear I go back to the prom scene at the end of Pretty in Pink). And I think lead singer Andy McCluskey was pretty hot back in the 80s as well IMO.
Brownie
25 posts

Re: OMD - Love Them, Hate Them, or somewhere in between?
Apr 09, 2009, 13:13
I bought Architecture and Morality back in the 80's ..fantastic album
before (in my opinion ) they got too commercial.
Updated it to CD version only recently after spotting it on Amazon for
about 3 quid..bargain !
I've not really heard anything else by them to be honest but would
highly recommend A&M to anyone.
Runic Sunnyview
Runic Sunnyview
46 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 13:14
wildswan89 wrote:
What do you think of the band Orchestral Manuevers in the Dark?

I think they had a few good songs out in the 80s, like Enola Gay (my favorite song by them), So In Love and Forever Live and Die. If You Leave is an OK song as well even though it is a little bit overplayed (every time I hear I go back to the prom scene at the end of Pretty in Pink). And I think lead singer Andy McCluskey was pretty hot back in the 80s as well IMO.

Massively indifferent to them. Don't love 'em or hate 'em. Post-punk fluff with great sleeves.
dee
1955 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 13:48
Cock!! ;-)
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 13:52
Somewhere in between - loved the first three singles - Andy McCluskey was a bit of a cock dancing onstage - thought they displayed an uncharacteristic bout of ultra-cool with their tribute to Louise Brooks ("Pandora's Box"), and "Genetic Engineering" was one of the strangest uplifting songs ever to hit the Top 40 - but some of it was pretty inconsequential - and I can never forgive Andy McCluskey for introducing Atomic Kitten to the world.
Hunter T Wolfe
Hunter T Wolfe
1705 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 13:54
The first album, Organisation, Architecture and Morality and- especially- the mighty Dazzle Ships are very fine. That last one was quite experimental, and when it flopped, perhaps predictably, the band seemed to focus on the pop fluff, occasionally with pleasant results, but generally it's blandsville from 1985 on.

They weren't alone in selling out / losing it in the latter half of the decade though- many previously great bands did the same- psychedelic furs spring to mind- but, though never cool, OMD made some pretty forward-looking and poptastic records in the first part of their career that are well worth investigating.

But Andy McClusky was never 'hot.'
Lawrence
9547 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 13:55
They were good up until Junk Culture, which despite the cover art wasn't that great. They still come up with a good single every now and then...

But the first four albums were ace. Not just the hits, mind. Great stuff like "The Misunderstanding", "Almost", "New Dark Age". I could go on...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 13:56
First album was quite interesting when it first came out, but I heard it recently and it hasn't stood the test of time very well IMO.

I did see them live in the early days (somewhere in Camden I think) and they were actually bloody good - really loud too.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 13:58
Fey synthy wibbling fronted by a Geography teacher*

* paraphrasing another musician's assessment of them form years back. Can't remember who it was, but it's spot on.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 09, 2009, 14:00
Great ear candy back in the day, very 80's, love the Oberheims, don't know how well they have aged.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index