Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
OMD - Love Them, Hate Them, or somewhere in between?

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Seatown
71 posts

Re: OMD - Love Them, Hate Them, or somewhere in between?
Apr 11, 2009, 20:00
Jasonaparkes wrote:
For my sins, I think the early version up to Dazzle Ships was great - though I recall my Dazzle Ships review getting nixed from Unsung, so I'm guessing not many fans here?

After that they shortened the name, hooked up with Virgin, got session musos/brass sections in, and sold out badly...the odd decent song was produced - Junk Culture, Tesla Girls, Talking Loud & Clear, 88 Seconds...(their metal song!!), Crush, If You Leave, Forever Live & Die, Pandora's Box, Walking on the Milky Way...but a case of diminishing returns. & McCluskey gave us Atomic Kitten, which is pretty cruel..

But the early stuff - 4 Neu!, Stanlow, Statues, Sealand, New Stone Age, Electricity, Messages, Enola Gay, Genetic Engineering, This is Helena etc was great...though possibly if you have a weakness for post-punk electronic music made by folk who looked like bank managers...

That is spot on for me as I remember them.

Simple Minds also were a band who were feted mightily in the day only to succumb to stadium bombast.
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Apr 12, 2009, 15:50
Love Souvenir ... unforgettable tune.

Speaking of Simple Minds, I think their stadium bombast phase has weathered reasonably well ..clearly the older stuff is superior but I whacked on 'All the Things She Said' t' other day and I still love it ..
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Apr 12, 2009, 16:21
redbarchetta wrote:

Love Souvenir ... unforgettable tune. Yes!!

Speaking of Simple Minds, I think their stadium bombast phase has weathered reasonably well ..clearly the older stuff is superior but I whacked on 'All the Things She Said' t' other day and I still love it ..

Totally one hundred percent agree. We managed to catch them in December and it was awesome. Look out for their new album Graffiti Soul which is out in May.
keith a
9573 posts

Apr 13, 2009, 01:09
Not a massive fan, but they have made some very decent 45's for sure, with Electricity a comfortable winner from Enola Gay.

Also must confess to being rather fond of one of their later singles, Pandora's Box, which is proof that just because there's a change of decade things don't just change just like that - it may be from 1991 but it's as 80's as anything!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 14, 2009, 13:35
Oh no. Any opportunity for a damn good laugh!
In fact, I'm gonna post a link to it myself on this thread. It's THAT good!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

What Were They Thinking, Part 23.
Apr 14, 2009, 13:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMG_Jeye6T4
paradox
paradox
1576 posts

Re: What Were They Thinking, Part 23.
Apr 14, 2009, 18:29
NO!

Just fucking NO!
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Re: What Were They Thinking, Part 23.
Apr 14, 2009, 21:59
..that clip should carry a government health warning.

...this clip should simply be banned...(sorry sanshee)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGzWqAc16l0&feature=related

8)
Pursued By Trees
Pursued By Trees
1135 posts

Apr 14, 2009, 22:48
Very fond of their first 4 albums ... for me it starts to get a bit patchy after that.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Apr 14, 2009, 23:45
I really don't see much of a difference amongst most of the electro poppers of the era: Depeche mode, erasure, Yaz, Eyeless in Gaza, Numan, Ultravox, OMD, etc

They were all working with the new technology of the time: synths, effects, and drum boxes.

They were either influenced by the Germans or NYCers (Silver Apples/Suicide).

Some were trying for a clinical coldness, others were trying for warmth.

They had an opening, the public's ear was receptive, to the new sounds and looks ushered in by punk/postpunk.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index