"Riot on Sunset Strip" incidental music

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re:
Mar 26, 2009, 08:50
or not, since it gets repeated intermittently on MGM movies so you could get a fresher, more pristine, newer technology recording from that source.
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re:"Riot on Sunset Strip" incidental music
Mar 26, 2009, 14:20
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Unfortunately the MGM movie channel isn't part of the Freeview package I get - we only get Film Four - but that MP3 is probably good enough to suffice (cheers Seth Man - didn't know it was a Butterfield cover either, so will check out the original as well.).

Zphage - I may well order it on video if it's not too expensive. I've never seen the whole movie, but from what I can garner on the net I get the feeling that its watchability is more down to kitsch appeal than artistic merit (although it does have clips of the Standells and the Chocolate Watch band in it). I did enjoy "Psych-Out", but unfortunately the DVD version I own is a two-fer with "the Trip", and both films are heavily edited, according to the customer reviews on amazon.

I'm off to google Frank Karger now too ... although I own quite a bit of UK library music, the only US stuff I have is that "Welcome to the Ultra-lounge" sampler that came in the fake leopard-skin case, so that's agenre I'd like to hear more of.

And yes, Delirium Tremens is indeed marvellous stuff ... if there's one thing the Belgians are indisputably better at than anyone else it's making beer that's both palatable and strong (as opposed to the UK alkie's choice, Special Brew, which I've always found pretty undrinkable!).
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Paul Butterfield's better days / The Belgians
Mar 26, 2009, 15:14
Popel Vooje wrote:
Unfortunately the MGM movie channel isn't part of the Freeview package I get - we only get Film Four - but that MP3 is probably good enough to suffice (cheers Seth Man - didn't know it was a Butterfield cover either, so will check out the original as well.).

Your welcome, man.
The studio version of "East-West" is great but the 3 live versions on the "East-West Live" CD are incredible and reach some amazing climaxes. They're all 66-'67 performances by the short-lived line up that cut the "East-West" album. You'll be hearing all sort of stuff it wound up influencing in no time flat (Basically: a good portion of all the best psychedelia from the West Coast in the late sixties and beyond.)

Popel Vooje wrote:
And yes, Delirium Tremens is indeed marvellous stuff ... if there's one thing the Belgians are indisputably better at than anyone else it's making beer...

I hear ya...loud and clear!
Especially the tripels like Kasteele Goudenn, Affligem, Chimay and Westmalle. And Duvel, which is amazing. They are the most mind-manifesting ales, ever.
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Re:
Mar 26, 2009, 16:17
I have an AVI of it probs from a VHS that i can have a listen to for the quality and if its bad i can send it thru my mastering outboard and have a clean up

I collect these kinda films and have the OST's to em all

You ever seen :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063469/

Amazing just for Jack Nicholson's stuck on ponytail and his bad Hendrix riffs

and :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065760/

Contains some great Country Joe footage
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Edited Mar 26, 2009, 18:21
"It's just like a cartoon from A.I.P." (!)
Mar 26, 2009, 18:16
ToneStone,

Nice one!

Yes, I've seen dozens of these A.I.P./associated company films and by and large, they are garbage, totally insane and highly entertaining.

"Psych Out" is a classic and that faux Hendrix wig-out ("Ashbury Wednesday" by Boenzee Creeque) is a gasser. It's great how the music stops a second or two before Mumblin' Jim does. (And yeah: "that" ponytail. Hahahahahahahah)

Have you seen "The Angry Breed"? it's from 1969 and stars Danno from "Hawaii-Five O" as the head of a Schultzstaffel biker gang. Some unknown Gram Parsons lookalike winds up kicking his ass during the fight scene at the end. (His best line? "You need killing.")

"Wild In The Streets" is excellent, too. I suppose you've seen that one already. I believe it was A.I.P.'s second highest budget exploitation film outside of "The Wild Angels." (The performance in the film of "Shape Of Things To Come" by Christopher Jones is totally informed by Jim Morrison and Scott Walker circa first album.)

Oh, have you seen "The Losers" with William Smith? It's HILARIOUS. Biker gang is sent behind enemy lines in Vietnam ('enemy lines'? In Vietnam?!!!) to rescue a CIA agent. Just the obvious transposition of "The Dirty Dozen" onto the Vietnam War makes for mind-boggling viewing.

But "Mondo Hollywood" is at the absolute TOP of the garbage heap. I bet John Waters saw it when it came out and used it as a model for his first coupla films. If you've never seen it, order and and be prepared for an hour and a half of the rich cultural underbelly of Los Angeles, 1966-67 vintage: Gypsy Boots, Mike Curb, Bobby Jameson, Vito and Carl Franzoni, Jay Sebring, a monkey called Mr President, the great God Pan, The Mothers...etc, etc. At turns highly entertaining, disgusting, laughable, serious it really is beyond description.
The Seth Man
1242 posts

With all that said,
Mar 27, 2009, 05:36
can I ask:

Is your avatar a shot of Boss Goodman?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Re:
Mar 27, 2009, 08:33
Popel Vooje wrote:

Zphage - I may well order it on video if it's not too expensive. I've never seen the whole movie, but from what I can garner on the net I get the feeling that its watchability is more down to kitsch appeal than artistic merit (although it does have clips of the Standells and the Chocolate Watch band in it).

yeah it is pretty exploito. but then so were the rock'n'roll films of 10 years earlier that contain footage of johnny burnette etc. Kids are hoodlums etc.
Think the storyline concerns a police officer's wayward daughter.

you might be able to get clean versions from pirate bay or mininova, haven't looked myself. but if there is a recent source I wouldn't think it too unlikely.

Stevo
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Re: With all that said,
Mar 27, 2009, 14:48
yes :) Im a massive grease fan and the Pinks are my fave band of all with the Bossman a critical member
The Seth Man
1242 posts

Seth Man/Goodman
Mar 27, 2009, 16:02
Excellent, ToneStone! Me, too.

I met Boss once nine years ago and I'll never forget it. Every inch a DUDE and a very nice guy.

Showed him an 1971 OZ benefit flyer I'd just purchased and he remembered the gig because Arthur Brown and Gene Vincent were on the bill.

"Those were the best days of my life" he said as he held the flyer in his hands. If I hadn't just met him I would've hugged the guy.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index