The worst CD ever?

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Opinions are like assholes . . .
Feb 07, 2009, 21:40
. . . some are just louder and more pungent than others.

One of the reasons I like reading this forum is that people talk about and praise music that I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. But debating what is the worst cd ever . . . c'mon. I bet if we went to the Chris deburgh forums, they could have a paralell thread about the Odin album. 70 minutes of breathing. Think about it. If you didn't like Cope and someone told you about that, you'd probably think it should be sold next to some shimmering crystals in a new age shop. Sure, I like it, but you really can't debate taste. Have you actually heard this cd, or are these opinions based on your distaste for the 'covers album', no matter who the subject.

I happen to love that Sinead album, and can't really understand how someone could hate it. Her vocals are perfectly suited to the music, it features Sly and Robbie, they recorded it with a lot of the studio musicians who played on the original songs, and it's great music. Maybe if you were some kind of purist snob, but who really cares about those kind of opinions (which tend to be the only kind on those pitchforkmedia kind of sites).

I'm not saying you can't have a laugh at Chris deburgh, I wouldn't buy it either, but people don't make horrible music on purpose. The only thing that makes it good or bad is your taste, and more often than not, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the music. Consumer distinction plays a key role in the type of music you purchase. Celine Dion is a talented singer, and has produced some amazing music throughout her career (millions of copies sold, countless awards, loyal fans) yet some people wouldn't even think about owning one of her cds because it holds no distinction of showing good taste. Same goes for all consumer products, which is basically what is being debated, however tongue-in-cheek you may want it to be.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index