Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...

116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album -
Feb 10, 2009, 21:25
Finally got to hear it. Glad in a way that "Black Sheep" has stepped away from this style - I felt uncomfortable when Julian crossed his own boundaries when the unmistakably Brain Donorish "Dark Orgasm" was credited to Julian Cope - I still have waking nightmares of Doggen bludgeoning "Sunspots" to death at the Koko gig. So Brain Donor's name against this seems strangely comforting.

Not a fan on dry-wank guitar solos so in my opinion "Dyslexia Rules K.O" is for me the most ineffective track on the entire Cope catalogue. A minute and a half fret rush does not constitute a song IMHO.

Still the album has his merits - particularly the last 28 minute opus - the noise drone that takes up the last few minutes sounds hugely apocalyptic (s'pose it should be on the next LP ha!) and I particularly like "Death Becomes You" - and any doubt I had about Julian's voice being "rocky" enough is dispelled on "Frankenstein".

I know limiting Doggen's excess will emasculate the very notion of Brain Donor itself - but sometimes I wish someone will have a quiet word.....
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index