Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
New Brain Donor album - opinions here, please...

116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9564 posts

Re: New Brain Donor album
Feb 05, 2009, 00:42
I haven't played it all as yet, so wouldn't normally offer an opinion, but...

As someone who has been a fan of the great man for 30 yrs I'll generally defend Cope most things but I'm struggling on this one. And coming after Black Sheep, probably his best album in a while, the timing of this release is kinda baffling. No, the fact that he wants to release this at all seems rather baffling.

The opening track starts with that thunder effect Cope seems so fond of. Admittedly this is not really my genre that this operating in, but it starts fairly interesting though it soon reached the point where I started longing for the good old days when record companies exercised some control over their artists so someone could tell Julian to stop titting around and aquandering his talent.

2nd track - again not a bad riff to open things up, but then...oh dear. A few mins in and it sounds like some clueless teenagers practising 70's style rock in their parents garage.

Track 3 - dead short. Thankfully as it features the type of guitar playing that should result in offenders having their hands chopped off.

That's as far as I've got so far. And yes, I have played it loud.

I can't say I'm exactly looking forward to hearing the rest - those snappy early BD 45's seem a long time ago. Gotta say I preferred it when Julian tried to re-live his youth by collecting toy cars than by re-gurgitating his early 70's record collection.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index