Your albums of the year

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: Your albums of the year
Dec 12, 2008, 23:20
fuck me, you don't hear j-l costes' name mentioned much round these parts ... the guy's COMPLETELY out on his own ... haven't kept up w/ his output n last decade or so, but he's worth a million wooden sjshsjsippies
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 17:18
It is very good.
magiceye
magiceye
183 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 17:39
Has anyone heard the album by The Bug that was so highly rated by both Mojo and Wire in their end of year reviews (the later chose it as their album of the year)? If so, what's it like? Is it worth taking a punt on it, I wonder...
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 19:20
Live at Roadburn - Earthless

Third - Portishead

Recurring Dreams & Apocalypse of Darkness - AMT

Khora - Aufgehoben

Annwn - Ocrilim

obZen - Meshuggah
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2008, 20:24
Dec 13, 2008, 20:05
In no order and with some omissions, no doubt.....

BLACK MOUNTAIN - In The Future
GUNSLINGERS - No More Invention
DAVID HOLMES - The Holy Pictures
MOTORPSYCHO - Little Lucid Moments
GRAILS - Doomsdayers Holiday ( must hear more by them ! )
WIRE - Object 47
JULIAN COPE - Black Sheep
SLOMO - The Bog
SUNN O))) - Domkirche
BORIS - Smile
BOREDOMS - Super Roots 9
GOLDFRAPP - Seventh Tree

After the honeymoon period ended, eventually up disappointed by the new ones from long term faves Spiritualized and Stereolab. Er, seems my days as a fey indie tosser are now past. ;-)

Reissue of the year...

GAS - Nah Und Fern 4CD
Five
Five
960 posts

Dec 14, 2008, 09:03
Jasonaparkes wrote:

Earth Junk by The Howling Hex

MAJOR I'll second that
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 14, 2008, 09:51
magiceye wrote:
New Albums by:

Fleet Foxes

they did a Rockpalast in November that's up on Dime &is bloody great.
I got the Sun Giant e.p. to check them out and haven't listened to it much, did add Mykonos to the walkman(where it's now vying for space with 4000 minutes of tracks). & haven't bought the lp as yet. Might well do now I've seen the Rockpalast though

magiceye wrote:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig...

one of the few lps from this year that I did buy immediately. He's really on form. Some of this is pretty much mod (in old form) music but with way more literate lyrics. & retellings of Greek legends that reviews seem to miss, I mean it is obvious isn't it? News From Nowhere = Ulysses story?

magiceye wrote:

Gutter Twins - Saturnalia

the live material I've heard has been great. I think they did a good Later too didn't they? & I love Lanegan anyway, don't really know Dulli.

magiceye wrote:

Portishead - Third
Holy Fuck - LP
Tricky - Knowle West Boy
Neil Young (the Sugar Mountain archive recording, yeah OK not really new as such)
Earth - Bees

need to get all those but Holy Fuck (which I think i got last year). Picked up live material by all of them that's been good. I'd look around for Portishead in Portishead if you haven't seen it live thing from Channel 4.
been getting loads of Neil Young , plus Buffalo Springfield's live archive was raided pretty successfully on a couple of sites this year. Had been waiting to hear their live stuff fior years.
Earth have had quite a bit of their live stuff from this country/spaghetti western whatever era upped over the last year too.
Stevo
Np Black Flag 14/1/83 Torrance dvd the 5 piece band getting heavy.
Nikinakinoo
Nikinakinoo
1281 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2008, 18:28
Dec 15, 2008, 18:24
Flight of the Conchords (by Flight of the Conchords). THE funniest record/CD I've ever heard - I've only just been given this. I was in danger of crashing the car when I first heard it, as I laughed so much and so frequently. I was roaring and howling and crying with laughter.

The reviews on amazon back this up. One guy listened to it whilst doing his painting/decorating job and laughed so much he spilt the paint pot all over the customers carpet. Another person laughed out loud on the Tube with their Ipod on. (Good job it wasn't me, I'd have been carted off to the loony bin). All reviews on amazon gave it mostly 5 out of 5 with a few 4 out 5's. I highly recommend it - it takes the piss out of many styles of music (including Bowie - even Red Peony would laugh).

I haven't seen the TV series but will definitely look out for it now.

Also

Julian Cope - Black Sheep
and The Ting Tings (it's my daughter's but we all really like it).
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2008, 18:51
Dec 15, 2008, 18:45
BLACK MOUNTAIN - In The Future
HOT CHIP - Made in the Dark
FUCK BUTTONS - Street Horrssing
PORTISHEAD - Third
THE BLACK ANGELS - Directions to See a Ghost
SPECTRUM VS. CAPTAIN MEMPHIS - Indian Giver
SPIRITUALIZED - Songs in A&E (Ironic juxtaposition, I know - for my money, the Spectrum album is better, though)
JULIAN COPE - Black Sheep
HAIR POLICE - A Certainty of Swarms (Perfect for emptying a party at the end of the night)
A PLACE TO BURY STRANGERS - s/t (I know the original version came out last year, but this one has five new tracks so it qualifies as a new release in my book)
SCHOOL OF SEVEN BELLS - Alpinisms
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 15, 2008, 19:55
Dec 15, 2008, 19:43
Yiss, it's a pretty funny show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wqfcwgT0Ds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hrUGFhsXo

And of course the Bowie bits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxtbJf5E9i4