69 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Aug 22, 2008, 13:27
Re: New AC/DC album ..
Aug 22, 2008, 13:25
I want to like it. I want it to be great. To show their love of the form matches ours and that oozes out of every note. That might be over-optimistic.

Personally I take Lefsetz's approval with a pinch of salt. He loves his classic rock but he thinks The Eagles matter (not just back then but now).
That's not the best critical frame of reference for an AC/DC record!

He often talks about music like he is studying it in a museum or on an archaelogical dig. He doesn't seem to be a fan of rock and roll as a living breathing thing that has real life left in it. Maybe he is correct in this and it is truly all over but a lot of the time he comes off as someone who distrusts modernity in music but lauds it technology.

I have a lot of time for his view of the industry / market but beyond pure pop and hip hop (which he seems to dislike on prinicpal) he gets excited by the novelty of a business model above all else.

Anyway. The band will probably get my money regardless but I fear this release is all about getting the publicity to sell a mass of tour dates rather than making a new and vital statement. I might be wrong though.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index