Unsung Forum »
13th Floor Elevators Cd's

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Re: 13th Floor Elevators Cd's
Dec 12, 2008, 15:07
Who knows how quick they go. I use my own logic. My band have sold just over a 1200 copies of our debut. But that was from 2005 to present.
The Elevators being slightly more legendary than us (joke) inc 2 albums never heard before + live recordings and remixes (will we hear the additional instrumentation on EE? lets hope so) well I think that would go pretty quickly. I'm sure there are more than 3,000 fans out there. The question is whether all 3,000 have the pocket for the box set.

The golden Dawn is a little different. They just dont have the vision, songs and legend the Elevator's had. 1,000 copies would suffice. I'm sure if they sold rapid another 500 would be printed.

Another thing. Who says it's only 3,000. It's a marketing ploy for a pre-order rush. for gullible doe-eyed freaks such as I
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 19:34
you wouldn't, even for a moment, be suggesting the dedicated folk over at Charly were somewhat less than truthful now would you? sales hucksters not graced with the utopian vision of sharing great music with others. omigod.
blasphemy!!!!!!!

;-)
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Dec 12, 2008, 23:40
earthlingfred93 wrote:
...Another thing. Who says it's only 3,000. It's a marketing ploy for a pre-order rush. for gullible doe-eyed freaks such as I

I doubt they will go beyond the 3000 run for the boxed set. If anything they will release the items seperately, but without some music and no book.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 00:01
So did they use those bullshit stereo mixes or the bona-fide mono ones?
I picked up the Sundazed vinyl of The Psychedelic Sounds mono and its the boss hoss.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 09:29
As far as I know they used both stereo & mono from the original masters didn't they? masters believed lost since pretty much the original release. Though alternative rumours had them languishing in the vaults at Charly since the late 70s where the label were too lazy to go looking for them.
It took intrepid author Paul drummond to find them and this is the result.
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 10:42
Stevo wrote:
you wouldn't, even for a moment, be suggesting the dedicated folk over at Charly were somewhat less than truthful now would you? sales hucksters not graced with the utopian vision of sharing great music with others. omigod.
blasphemy!!!!!!!

I would never suggest such a thing....

Interesting note If you buy the Psychedelic sounds box set (the 3CD set snaj709) that supposedly had everything released by the band up to that point you'll notice that 'I dont ever want to come down' is missing. But the buggers then craftily place the song amongst their very best of comp (snap211) just so you'll fork out another 8quid for it, and if you are a completist (and I am for this band only) then you will...

And speaking of the very best of comp. Why put the single edit of slip inside this house on it? surely you would put it on in all it's heavenly glory!!

;-)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 10:50
As far as I know they used both stereo & mono from the original masters didn't they? masters believed lost since pretty much the original release. Though alternative rumours had them languishing in the vaults at Charly since the late 70s where the label were too lazy to go looking for them.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 15:37
As far as I know, the bands were not involved in the stereo mixes of any of the International Artists stuff. Lelan Rogers & Co. made those with no expertise and less care to exploit the new stereo "fad".
The Parable of Arable Land in particular was horribly disfigured by the stereo manipulations of tin ears.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Dec 13, 2008, 23:22
Stevo wrote:

It says on the site "Remastered and remixed by Walt Andrus, the band’s original engineer and producer" so they would have to have found the original master reels in order to remix. If they only found the 2-track final mixes, you can't really say they've been remixed, only remastered. So maybe I'm confusing my terms or I'm not interpreting things correctly. Either way should be great.

Re-read the part in Eye Mind about how the label remixed the tapes and screwed up the mastering for the first album, seems like this box should re-write history so to speak.
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Edited Dec 14, 2008, 15:49
Dec 14, 2008, 15:47
http://finerecordingstudio.com/g45central/viewtopic.php?t=828&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Found this thread on another site and Paul made some further comments:

"Hi, Paul Drummond here ....compiler ...I'm not going to say producer of the Elevators box set. Just wanted to put one thing straight Charly have had absolutely nothing to do with this box set apart from foot the bills. They own the rights and wanted to do this themselves but instead they let me (& Roky's manager take over, plus the band's blessing) approach it in a very Epicurean way... touch nothing unless it needed fixing. Charly have been brilliant, by not interfering...they just let me head to Texas and get on with it. The band's original engineer /producer, Walt Andrus was flown in from California to remaster and remix (where multi tracks existed) ....
Re: YGMM Take 6 and all the Contact material - it has been out before but it was tampered with. This time it's straight off the tapes, with Walt producing (and on occasion Roky)-so forget what you heard twenty years ago....
Apart from that it's almost everything that exists ....bar a couple of live tracks which I couldn't squeeze on- so they were left off in favour of unreleased material.
Four possible sources held out on unreleased material. Not going to name and shame them, but they gave very feeable excuses considering the original band were involved in the project.
The full colour book has to be £25/30 itself so the Cd's work out pretty cheap ? Every known poster/handbill and as many photos as could be licensed , begged , cajoled out of people over eight years..."

and later on said

".... The Elevators box set doesn't include the straight stereo Lps of Easter and Psychedelic Sounds.... however amongst Charly's stash of tapes stereo dub of the original tapes made in 1976 for Masterphonics reissues . BTW Masterphonics pressings are actually rarer than originals and don't exist for the other 2 lps.

Hopefully after the box set is out I'll try and do a double Cd reissue of the Mono/Stereos and maybe the Red Crayola material.

None of the IA singles appear to still exist on tape....but two track stereo- mixed down masters exist for all the lp's .... I went through all the unmarked tapes and the only unreleased material was 3 reels of studio chatter from the Lightnin' Hopkins sessions - basically they left the tape rolling ..."

That clears some things up.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index