Unsung Forum »
38% Teens bought NO Cds 2006; 48% 2007

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: squareness of eternal rock
Mar 01, 2008, 20:51
Maybe the sentiment and the lifestyle, but not the musical genre itself. Very few people I know who are under the age of 25 give a monkeys about rock music these days. It'll always exist, but amongst younger folks it'll be a minority demographic.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Re: 38% Teens bought NO Cds 2006; 48% 2007
Mar 02, 2008, 00:15
Brik wrote:
Maldoror wrote:
'Endgame' for music industry, dudes...

Unfortunately I think you're onto something there.
Though if it's any consolation, I'm still a "teen" and I bought about 100 CDs last year. Granted that's more irresponsible than helpful but still, I actually make the effort to go home and listen to the thing.

Well, being a brazilian, and being subjected to obscenely priced import CDs, I cannot buy that much, but I guess I still can grab something like 40 CDs per year.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2008, 03:43
How to breakout from the maze of tubes?
Mar 02, 2008, 03:34
My guess is that "live music" is the thing that will make the difference between who gets noticed and who doesn't -- there is no computerized substitute for putting on a good show.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: squareness of eternal rock
Mar 02, 2008, 03:39
"Rock Star" is sort of a generic term these days used in a lot of non-musical contexts. Barrack Obama is regularly referred to as a "rock star" of the political scene.

I don't think that's what Neil Young, Chuck Berry, et al were referring to when they sang such sentiments as "rock and roll will never die"! Quite the opposite -- in this context it's "rock as cultural signifier" (for big ego, gratuitous wealth, fainting girls) and has nothing to do with "music per se."

This sort of thing (and the "rock and roll hall of fame", an actual MUSEUM for rock!) are sure signs as any that "rock is dead they say."

Long live rock!?
keith a
9574 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2008, 09:58
Mar 02, 2008, 09:58
Dog 3000 wrote:

Can you even imagine a youngster band of today singing a sentiment like "long live rock" or "rock and roll will never die"? They'd be laughed at as impossibly square and old fashioned.

Quite right. Surely that sounded square and old fashioned thirty years ago?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Mar 02, 2008, 17:59
keith a wrote:

Not really -- what's "old fashioned" today was "current" in the past, by definition. Once upon a time people really believed "music could change the world", but we're far too realistic for that kind of thinking these days.

This is my basic contention -- the era of "rock records as the primary vehicle for youth culture" is over. That was a baby boomer phenomenon, based on the technology of the day. Anyone who still "believes in the power of rocknroll" is basically trying to hang on to their youth (like the middle aged guy who buys a shiny red sportscar on his 40th birthday.)

Kids today live in a media world dominated by the Internet, email, instant messaging, cell phones, iPods, etc. The "album" as we knew it won't survive any more than epic poems in iambic pentameter could survive in the age of novels and newspapers (to say nothing of the age of radio, cinema, TV, satelite dishes and so on!)

The only permanent thing in this world is change!
rojo
rojo
433 posts

Re: How to breakout from the maze of tubes?
Mar 02, 2008, 21:11
Dog 3000 wrote:
My guess is that "live music" is the thing that will make the difference between who gets noticed and who doesn't -- there is no computerized substitute for putting on a good show.

Yes that will be the difference. I think that doucumentary'Steal this film', about IP & bit torrent, had it right when it stated that music existed long before the phonograph and it will continue to be around long after its demise.
keith a
9574 posts

Mar 02, 2008, 23:14
Dog 3000 wrote:
keith a wrote:

Not really -- what's "old fashioned" today was "current" in the past, by definition. Once upon a time people really believed "music could change the world", but we're far too realistic for that kind of thinking these days.

I don't disagree that people still believed in the power of music to change things thirty years. *

What I was saying was old fashioned 30 years ago was a band saying things like "long live rock" or "rock and roll will never die".

* Whilst less likely I think it still can change certain things given the right circumstances.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

my my hey hey / rock is dead they say
Mar 03, 2008, 18:37
I am under the impression Pete Townshend & Neil Young were serious when they wrote those songs -- though by then maybe it was more of a "rear guard move" for a youth culture that was already showing signs of age.

"That sixties spirit" has been declared dead over and over since the early 70's, ya know?
machineryelf
3681 posts

Manhunt is the new Alice Cooper
Mar 04, 2008, 07:15
My Face is the new Bowie

internet grooming has replaced drugs as ''The Danger Out There'' tm TNOTW

CDs are dead in the water,Kids listen to 2 tracks by a group if that, they get their music from the 1 person in 20 in their peer group who really cares via MP3

I'll bet that the slack has been taken up by i-pods, computer games & mobile fones

When i was a teenager i dreamed of Bang & Oulfsen hifis in shiny chrome with BIG speakers

my son wants a lap top the same size as a 12" vinyl copy of yessongs
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index