Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Feb 28, 2008, 21:47
38% Teens bought NO Cds 2006; 48% 2007
Feb 28, 2008, 21:43
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-music27feb27,0,4432240.story?track=mostviewed-storylevel

Some serious numbers about downloads legal and illegal continue to grow.

2005 teens accounted for 15% music sales; 2007 they account for 10%

2007 about 1 million people stopped buying Cds; legal downloads have not made up the loss.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: 38% Teens bought NO Cds 2006; 48% 2007
Feb 29, 2008, 00:53
Fits with another article you posted: middle-age folks are the last bastion of old-fashioned music consumerism. They account for most of the growth in legal-for-sale downloads, and are a growing segment of the CD buying population (because younger kids are buying even fewer CD's than they are these days.)

No wonder there's another wave of reissues and special anniversary editions coming out these days!

"Dadrock" (and "Momrock") -- the next music industry trend?

But also note from the article that ms. teenager is checking out a lot of stuff on myspace . . . I think the best way to reach kids is "direct over the internet" these days, and you really don't need a record label to do that.
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Feb 29, 2008, 01:13
I see it repeatedly in the business/stores.

Kids may drive new trends , and subcultures bubbling up, but you can't stay in business on their few dollars.

30, 40, and 50 year olds have the dollars and they buy more than one cd/vinyl: reissues and current stuff.
Maldoror
Maldoror
720 posts

Feb 29, 2008, 16:32
'Endgame' for music industry, dudes...
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 29, 2008, 18:16
zphage wrote:

Kids may drive new trends , and subcultures bubbling up, but you can't stay in business on their few dollars.

30, 40, and 50 year olds have the dollars and they buy more than one cd/vinyl: reissues and current stuff.

It's not age, it's cohort: these middle-age record buyers of today are the same young record buyers of yesterday.

The music biz became a multi-billion dollar phenomenon in a few short decades (50's to 80's) on the back of postwar youth consumers. Indeed "youth culture" as we know it is defined by consumerism and was most perfectly symbolized during the baby boom years in the "Rock Album".

Then comes the "baby bust / generation Y" that grew up sending email on the Internet, taking pictures with their cellphones, etc. "Records" and "Radio" are primarily baby boomer phenomenon, which simply do not have the same relevance for the generations post-baby-boom.

Can you even imagine a youngster band of today singing a sentiment like "long live rock" or "rock and roll will never die"? They'd be laughed at as impossibly square and old fashioned. "Mom and Dad" hang on to that way of thinking though (and are willing to buy those Who and Zep albums all over again.)

Point is, don't expect a revival in CD sales when today's youngsters reach middle age and suddenly have more money! The record-buying generation is not being replaced.
coldrumhead
608 posts

Feb 29, 2008, 18:27
Dog 3000 wrote:
zphage wrote:

It's not age, it's cohort: these middle-age record buyers of today are the same young record buyers of yesterday.

The music biz became a multi-billion dollar phenomenon in a few short decades (50's to 80's) on the back of postwar youth consumers. Indeed "youth culture" as we know it is defined by consumerism and was most perfectly symbolized during the baby boom years in the "Rock Album".

Then comes the "baby bust / generation Y" that grew up sending email on the Internet, taking pictures with their cellphones, etc. "Records" and "Radio" are primarily baby boomer phenomenon, which simply do not have the same relevance for the generations post-baby-boom.

Can you even imagine a youngster band of today singing a sentiment like "long live rock" or "rock and roll will never die"? They'd be laughed at as impossibly square and old fashioned. "Mom and Dad" hang on to that way of thinking though (and are willing to buy those Who and Zep albums all over again.)

Point is, don't expect a revival in CD sales when today's youngsters reach middle age and suddenly have more money! The record-buying generation is not being replaced.

Exactly.Hence rock bottom price of so many CD reissues
Five
Five
960 posts

Mar 01, 2008, 03:07
true, you don't need a record label to reach people over the internet

but you do have to get their attention somehow, else you be lost in the infinite sea of eternal webmusic!

in theory, "quality" (whatever that means to whoever) should be more of a draw now than it was in an entirely corporate dominated environment - but still, the folks with the non-musical skills of self-promotion and social adeptitude are going to get their thang across more easily
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: squareness of eternal rock
Mar 01, 2008, 03:10
gotta say, "rocknroll" is still a rallying cry to hedonistic lifestyle and barbaric yawpiness amongst the teens and 20s-yr-olds I hang with... One could quibble perhaps over what exactly they mean by it, but whatever, I think the sentiment stands
Brik
587 posts

Mar 01, 2008, 17:41
Maldoror wrote:
'Endgame' for music industry, dudes...

Unfortunately I think you're onto something there.
Though if it's any consolation, I'm still a "teen" and I bought about 100 CDs last year. Granted that's more irresponsible than helpful but still, I actually make the effort to go home and listen to the thing.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Mar 01, 2008, 18:05
CDs are overpriced and a medium prone to easy damage. Along comes mp3s.

Meethinks the corporate music trade doth protest too much. They failed to get with the new medium, and are suffering the consequences. For decades, they've made huge profits off both the artists AND the buying public- well, all lucrative schemes must come to an end someday.

This report doesn't mention how much online download sales have supplanted retail sales... it's substantial.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index