Should Zep Tour/Record?

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Re: Should Zep Tour/Record?
Dec 18, 2007, 17:19
I've heard the odd track here and there of the Strange Sensation and one or two songs that Robert Plant's been doing with Aison Krauss, and though the Zep were obviously important, I feel he's moving on now quite successfully.

Maybe the odd date - but they shouldn't go back in the studio IMHO.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Edited Dec 19, 2007, 10:36
In Through The Out Door
Dec 18, 2007, 17:31
I'm not saying that it's the worst album in the world, though it may be the worst album LZ made. There are some decent tunes in there, but for me it's spoilt by the willingness to grab hold of the technology of the time - instruments & production. The synths are embarrassing, as they are on so many albums from the late 70's and early 80's.

I also like All Of My Love, though the synths hurt.

Coda may well have been a cash-in (the first of many for LZ), but it felt more like them than In Through The Out Door did/does. Too deliberate an attempt to break new ground and a failure from where I sit.

I can remember In The Evening blasting out at Knewbworth and thhinking, "That's a Zeppelin song". I also remember thinking Hot Dog was shit and I was right.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: In Through The Out Door
Dec 18, 2007, 18:03
I'll stand up for ITTOD too.

The only album where Jones has more composing credits than Page. Better than Presence (I've never understand the fascination with that one) or the live album, therefore something of a comeback. I don't think the addition of synths & disco is any more of a heresy or embarassment than doing reggae and funk in 1973.

And half of the songs on Coda are ITTOD-era outtakes anyway (seems like most of Page's songs were left off in favor of Jones -- interesting.)

"We're Gonna Groove" is one of their best tracks ever though (a live recording from c. 1969 with an overdubbed awesome guitar solo, or something like that.)
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Dec 18, 2007, 18:05
Mighty ReArranger's still one of my favourite albums, EC. I can't comment on his Allison collab yet, as i've asked Santa for the album.The odd LZ gig would be brilliant but definitely no recording.
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Edited Dec 21, 2007, 12:59
Dec 20, 2007, 10:05
--------------------- Sorry, I had a change of mind and deleted what was originally written, here. ------------------------
Kid Calamity
9045 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 10:27
'In The Evening' was just great at Knebworth I remember. It just sort of resonated in that bowl where we we all stood. A fantastic moment.

Yeah, some of the synthy stuff has dated badly. I think they were unwittingly following a current trend, rather than just being true to their own instincts on that one. It was a particularly difficult time for some of the members of the band at that time, though. I'm sure a stronger album would have followed - had things not gotten even worse, of course.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 16:46
They should play the cat pod. And record a song that I shall write for them. Then I'll show everyone!
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 16:52
You'll show everyone what, exactly? Get in the LZ queue, you. ;P x
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index