Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Edited Dec 12, 2007, 03:46
Classical/Avant Garde
Dec 11, 2007, 18:41
I love Early Music: vocal/instrumental/religious/nonreligious

I also have been working thru a Nancarrow box. Haven't had much luck with Henry Brant. Love ChARLES iVES and sAMOEI SATOH.

oPERA has been tough. I love female voices doing some arias.

Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Mahler, Barber, Carter staggering work., makes a lot of nonclassical particularly rock seem silly. Yet rock, a great tune has an immediacy classical doesn't.

Any thoughts, any recommendations?
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Edited Dec 11, 2007, 19:05
Re: Classical/Avant Garde
Dec 11, 2007, 19:03
Early: Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Ignaz_Biber

Avant: Giacinto Scelsi
http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/acc/scelsi.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacinto_Scelsi
coldrumhead
608 posts

Dec 11, 2007, 19:07
zphage wrote:
I love Early Music. I have been working thru a Nancarrow box. Haven't had much luck with Henry Brant. Love ChARLES iVES and sAMOEI SATOH.
oPERA has been tough. I love female voices doing some arias.

Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Mahler, Barber, Carter staggering work., makes a lot of nonclassical particularly rock seem silly. Yet rock, a great tune has an immediacy classical doesn't.

Any thoughts, any recommendations?

Early music takes in a very wide range of stuff so only as a taster you could try:-

Hildegaard of Bingen
Thomas Tallis
Palestrina
Gesualdo
Monteverdi
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 11, 2007, 19:12
Love them all, all excellent.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 03:16
I wouldn't put Charles Ives in the early music category.. too radical. If you are really talking early music, to a musicologist, you'd be talking about madrigals and all that mathematically very lovely but predictable music... which to a degree holds with a lot of rock and roll, actually... and to a degree with the Beethoven/Mozart/etc. stuff...

Stravinsky, Ives, the other modern composers... they really opened up western orchestral music to the sort of wild, expressionist forms that evolved into film music, and influenced film in itself.

My interest in music expanded dramatically after I stopped thinking of it as rock and everything else, and started digging the REAL roots music... the REAL world music, not that synthesized pastiché that has been stripped of all cultural identity..
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 10:47
i like baroque concertoes like bach + telemann + albinoni cos it's kinda like pop music, w/ standard format + stuff that they bend + shape but keep recognisable ... good tunes too

opera? tough, but love love love the overwhelming dramatic end bits of Wagner (largely where they stop singing!) ... end of "tristan + isolde" frinstance

renaissance chjoral music always hits the spot, esp english stuff for me ... tallis's "spem in alium" is mindbending

c20 french guys = satiue, debussy, ravel, poulenc ... ususally pretty cool (poulenc a little patchy for me, mind)

vaughan williams i love ... real british vibe ... "tallis fantasia" = yeah!

mozart so so uplifting + FUN + full of ideas, but can't get to the operas (yet?)

morton feldman, lou harrison are cool (often full of tunes too, which may take you by surprise)... cage too of course

i had some arvo part on the other night ... "spiegel im spiegel" i love, prob cos i'm a moron

stockhausen in 50s/60s/70s, blah blah ... hell "gesang der jungliche" is unstoppably great

all the minnimalists are great, bar philip glass (altho i think i heard some eearly gl;ass that was good once) ... terry riley, especially

i kinda get bored when classical music really becomes Romantic, y;know? after mozart + before, say, ravel, i often have "difficulty" ... maybe i shd give beethoven a whirl sometime again?
MC
638 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 11:06
Glenn Gould's take on Bach's Goldberg Variations - 1981 version is excellent. Usally makes most peoples top 10 of all time great classical recordings and is sorta avant garde at the same time.

Gould was a nutter.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: Classical/Avant Garde - Bulgarian voices.
Dec 12, 2007, 11:11
Hildegaard of Bingen was a real visionary - very cool.
I would recommend "Bulgarian Voices" Bulgarian womens choir - there is nothing quite like this mind blowing folk choral music - amazing.
HI DEN
HI DEN
814 posts

Edited Dec 12, 2007, 12:08
Dec 12, 2007, 12:04
Some of Scriabin´s later works are pretty far out and heavy(not to mention his ideas on how the stuff should be performed...) !
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Dec 12, 2007, 14:43
Dec 12, 2007, 12:11
These leap immediately to mind though there is really no shortage of candidates. Keep in mind that I am something of a hopeless Romantic when it comes to classical music and Second Viennese School aside can't really get on with the atonal or the plinky plonk. Your tastes might stretch way beyond mine!

John Adams' Transmigration Of Souls - Nonesuch recording

Debussy Pelleas and Melisande Concert Suite - Abbado conducting BPO

Bruckner 4 - Celibidache conducting MPO

Schoenberg Verklarte Nacht - Von Karajan conducting BPO

Brahms German Requiem - Celibidache conducting MPO

Ravel Piano Concerto - Michelangelli

Wagner Parsifal & Tristan Preludes & Siegfried Idyll - Haitink Concertgebouw

Six Marimbas & Music For 18 Musicians - Steve Reich

Bartok String Quartets - Tokyo Quartet

Verdi Overtures - Von Karajan

Bach Cello Suites - Tortelier

Mahler Song of the Earth - Kathleen Ferrier, Bruno Walter etc

Arvo Pärt's Tabula Rasa (ECM Recording)

Arvo Pärt Fratres - Tasmin Little / Martin Roscoe - Richard Studt - Bournemouth Sinfonietta

Britten Peter Grimes Op 33 - Orchestra of the Royal Opera House

Callas Operatic Arias (this was an EMI vinyl single disc from the early 60s, not sure how it has been reissued on CD - probably in a two-fer bundle with another record)

Debussy Symphonic Music La Mer etc - Stokowski & LPO

David Bedford - Twelve Hours Of Sunset

Anton Webern Complete - Boulez

Richard Strauss A Cappella Works - Danish National Radio Choir

Honneger Pastorale D'ete - Jean Fournet & The Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra

Philip Glass - Low Symphony
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index