Classical/Avant Garde

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Re: Classical/Avant Garde
Dec 12, 2007, 12:26
Yes he was, to quote Rick James, a bit of a Super Freak.

Amazing the lengths folks had to go to in order to induce a psychedelic experience in those days!
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 18:20
Great stuff.

Bella Domna with Mara Kiek is excellent Medieval /early music , real soulful vocals. Mara's day gig is croatian music in Australia. I think there is a Neck's connection.
coldrumhead
608 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 20:26
[quote="singingringingtree"]
c20 french guys = satiue, debussy, ravel, poulenc ... ususally pretty cool (poulenc a little patchy for me, mind)

Poulenc can be a bit patchy but the best bits of the Organ Concerto,Piano concerti,music from the ballet Les Biches,Harpsichord concerto are all worth hearing and deffo unsung.Sophisticated and brittle and very Parisian.

The film music of Georges Auric(Cocteau's Orphee etc)is also worth investigating...he also did the score to the classic Ealing comedy the Lavender Hill Mob...
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Dec 12, 2007, 21:03
Mara Kiek?

heard her sing w/ great great early music group Sinfonye ... nice

think a fair whack of early music folk have fingers in modern avant-garde/improv things too - makes sense i guess
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 20:57
Great stuff, thanks everyone.

How about the whole purist thing by John Gardiner playing Beethoven on period intstruments with proper tempos etc?

Anyone check this out?
coldrumhead
608 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 21:15
zphage wrote:
Great stuff, thanks everyone.

How about the whole purist thing by John Gardiner playing Beethoven on period intstruments with proper tempos etc?

Anyone check this out?

You mean as opposed to conductors like Furtwangler and Klemperer?
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 16, 2007, 21:16
Yes, as opposed to anyone modern.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Ligetti & Ives
Dec 18, 2007, 00:06
This is totally not my field, but I don't think Gyorgy Ligetti has been mentioned yet -- some cool stuff there (some of his music is used in the "2001" movie for instance -- not the old timey waltzes, the "cosmic music"!)

Anybody with more knowledge care to throw out some specifics?

And what's you're favorite Charles Ives? I've just got two old LP's I bought at a library sale, one is by a Finnish orchestra . . .
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: Ligetti & Ives
Dec 18, 2007, 06:20
yeah, Ligeti has a huge body of amazing music. Some of my faves:
Artikulation (electronics, 1958)
Atmospheres (used in 2001, 1961)
Continuum (mind-boggling short piece for cembalo (harpsichord), 1970)
and pretty much all of his orchestral works.

and since we're on the avants-no-one-has-mentioned yet subject:

the two big daddies of avant: Olivier Messiaen and Iannis Xenakis
are absolutley essential listening.

I've been on a Messiaen trip this week (after a few years' break) and I am completely blown away once once again, and every time I listen to one of his major works like Turangalila, Les Offrandes oubliees, Eclairs sur l'au dela, etc. - unique, killer.

and Xenakis was the most radical, most serious and perhaps the most industrial-punk-noise friendly of all 20th C avant composers - if you're up for a challenge and like the ugly stuff, Xenakis will rip your brains out and stuff them back through your earholes.
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Dec 18, 2007, 13:00
Loads of great pointers on this thread - will have to investigate further!

My own dabblings with listening to 'classical' etc. haven't been that far off the radar over the years, bits of Bartok esp. 'music for strings, percussion and celeste', Stravinski's 'Firebird' are some faves as well as more 'common classical' stuff-

But someone who has blown a hole in my noggin in the past, has been Krzysztof Penderecki - his most known orchestral one being 'Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima' and a great violin concerto (in more recent years) called 'Metamorphosen' - which is very hypnotic /spooky stuff

Lots of other stuff by him which I can't name but loved it when I heard it!

I find a lot of orchestral/classical music to be 'overpowering' - not in a negative sense- just that sometimes it's so fucking powerful I get serious goosebumps (!) probably more so than any 'electric' music across the board -

tread carefully! =8-o

;-)
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index