Classical/Avant Garde

Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Re: Classical/Avant Garde
Dec 18, 2007, 19:39
Ives' Symphonies on Decca with Dohnanyi is excellent.
Ives played by Ives is interesting.
Ives:an American Journey is a great starter.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Edited Dec 19, 2007, 03:13
Re: Penderecki
Dec 18, 2007, 20:00
Penderecki's 'Utrenja' is totally fucking amazing!
(and some of its more disturbing sequences were used in Stanley Kubrik's
"The Shining" doncha know....)
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: Penderecki
Dec 19, 2007, 16:26
sakedelic wrote:
Penderecki's 'Utrenja' is totally fucking amazing!
(and some of its more disturbing sequences were used in Stanley Kubrik's
"The Shining" doncha know....)

I knew his music was used in said flick, but never bothered to follow up and search it out in full form- thanks for the tip!

;-)
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Dec 19, 2007, 17:31
I'm getting this for Xmas. Can't wait.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Feldman-Philip-Guston-Morton/dp/B000003GK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1198084978&sr=8-1

x
zphage
zphage
3378 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 03:41
Beautiful stuff.

I loved how Talk Talk was incorporating classical jazz and rock consonance and dissonance. My understanding was Mark Hollis was losing his hearing which resulted in soundscape of the recordings.

Is there anyone pushing this boundary currently?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 10:45
Gavin Bryars' On Photography is rather awe inspiring, recorded with the Latvian Radio Choir.
Perhaps the best choral piece I've ever heard, devoid of the pomp that can sometimes go with them.
Inspired by a poem some olde pope or other dedicated to the wonders of the camera.

Some renditions of Hildegard Von Bingen too *can't really say who does them best, tend to download them, so not sure of the performers;-)

Terry Riley's 'Requiem for Adam' has loads of great sombre cello moments. something I'm a sucker for.

Probably more, but these are good to go with!

x
KARL MAX
71 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 11:16
What was once avant garde is now classic. Just consider Erik Satie!
Or the "pop" of Rahul Dev Burman who last year got a "serious" recognition from the Kronos Quartet liking him to Ravel, Stravinskij, Brahms and Gerschwin. I agree to the fullest!
And recording Burman tunes with the greatest vocalist in the last 100 years Asha Bhosle is a double whammy that should have created a lot more stir than it did. Guess "filmi" music is still a topic too controversial for western classic and pop ears....
Or maybe we honkies just don't get the swoops, loops and microtonalities of Indian music yet?!

When speaking of western "serious" music I always champion JSBs H-moll messe which contains most of our musical heritage from atonal to polyrythmic counterpoint. Just make sure you get a baroque re-creation recording as the regular transcriptions usually have smoothed over the more atonal and droning parts...A horrible habit mastered by evil geniuses of musical history rewriting Tocsanini and von asshole, er Karajan.
Brother Johnno
Brother Johnno
428 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 17:43
Hi. I haven't read all the replies to your post but apologies if anyone else has mentioned Joanna Newsom. Classical harpist and unique vocal style which you may / may not like. Her last album Ys is excellent (IMO)
BJx
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Dec 20, 2007, 20:09
that is a mindbending piece .. haven't heard it for years, and don't think i ever sat thru full 4+ hours, but just jamming one of those disks on, you can really sink into it ... nice that it's nothing like "minimalism" either, even tho it's "minimal" ... wish i had more feldman in my life ...
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Dec 21, 2007, 11:42
Would you like a copy if you don't have one?

x
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index