73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Nick Drake
Mar 14, 2007, 15:55
Wiggy wrote:
Probably says more about the culture we live in than the people who bought the records. I do sort of understand what you mean though - I have a picture in my minds eye of the "creatives" involved in making that advert, and it aint pretty.

It does demonstrate how the hipsters have moved in on the advertising world. Kid's TV too. I can think of at least half a dozen examples of punk rock veterans who are doing creative things that are on the kid's shows- Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo... Iggy Pop...

I have to admit that VW ad with Pink Moon was a brilliant example of advertising genius. It's all about evoking that feeling of driving on warm summer nights, feeling beautifully wistful and romantic. It's a successful ad, I'm afraid... how one feels about Nick Drake being used to sell a car is a valid reaction, but the ad both sold a lot of Nick Drake albums AND VWs.

Sure, it can be a devil's bargain to attach your art to commerce, but sometimes it helps advance recognition. Artists who are serious about getting known will do what they must, & advertising can sometimes provide an open door.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index