Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
silogut
silogut
432 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2006, 10:23
Re: Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.
Dec 03, 2006, 04:07
I guess a large part of the axe people have to grind here is that the majority of us are 30/40 something veterans who have collectively read alot of music press over the years. Speaking from a UK perspective currently magazines such as Mojo, Q Magazine, Word, Uncut etc do feature alot of best of lists/ hyped editorial over lost albums etc. Sometimes these albums live up to these expectations and alot of the time not. Which is why it is so refreshing when you do buy something that does it for you. When you recapture that feeling you had when you were in your teens and first getting into music.
GeeZa
GeeZa
137 posts

Dec 03, 2006, 04:24
shanshee_allures wrote:
This is where I get hanged, but I really think Joy Division are awfully overrated. I don't think they're rotten (but New Order are fucking trite), I just don't know why they are so revered. I can't see any poetry in Curtis' lyrics (it's meant to be there), and that insipid fucking bass player just makes my flesh crawl.
I do like two or three of their tunes, but the way their fans react to even suggesting they do mere 'tunes' makes me think oh fuck it. WTF am I missing out on?
Unknown Pleasures then. And Closer. Really, really.
x

Nah, I've always struggled with Joy Division too matey, you're not alone.

Anyone else think Elvis Costello is rubbish? :-)
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: big words
Dec 03, 2006, 04:54
you might have a point about my comment, but i don't think silogut's comment was racist.... >>

It was a joke..and look, you're wasting more time!!

Mike
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Dec 03, 2006, 05:10
I guess a large part of the axe people have to grind here is that the majority of us are 30/40 veterans who have collectively read alot of music press over the years. Speaking from a UK perspective currently magazines such as Mojo, Q Magazine, Word, Uncut etc do feature alot of best of lists/ hyped editorial over lost albums etc. Sometimes these albums live up to these expectations and alot of the time not. Which is why it is so refreshing when you do buy something that does it for you. When you recapture that feeling you had when you were in your teens and first getting into music. >>

Indeed. Sgt. Pepper's isn't even the best BEATLES album let alone the best album ever. In fact, it's probably their weakest out of their 'mature' phase (i.e. Rubber Soul-on)..

Mike
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Dec 03, 2006, 09:49
silogut wrote:

Speaking from a UK perspective currently magazines such as Mojo, Q Magazine, Word, Uncut etc do feature alot of best of lists/ hyped editorial over lost albums etc. Sometimes these albums live up to these expectations and alot of the time not. Which is why it is so refreshing when you do buy something that does it for you.

I think out of the three, Word is the most interesting, as it's not so obsessed with Bob fucking Dylan's electricity bill from 65 (?), as he's in these every week one way or another. Infact, it's all 60s/70s West Coast back to mine which is fine for some but jeez boys, it is 2000 and bloody 6 (apart from Q, which reckons James Morrisson and Norah Jones are good). These mags haven't the balls to atempt to delve into what's really good today, because as it stands, what is worthwhile doesn't ever sell (didn't always be the case).
I buy The Wire to REALLY find out what's worth listening to today. The problem is, the writing is so dry, and the reviews rarely that critical, but it does offer a fair bit of insight.
x
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: big words
Dec 03, 2006, 16:52
it's so hard to convey tone in these little posts....
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: reading these posts has made me wonder
Dec 03, 2006, 17:17
cf: 'Records that you have more affection for than is usually tolerated'

Oh, and I don't spend that much of my time pissing.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 04, 2006, 21:53
David Bowie.

If it wasn't for Mick Ronson, he'd have absolutely nothin'!
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Dec 05, 2006, 00:29
Loggins & Oates "The Way We Feel"
achuma
achuma
503 posts

Dec 06, 2006, 01:00
Definitely Love's Forever Changes fits in that category for me. It just breezes by totally unmemorably whenever I've given it a go. I forget every song as soon as I've heard it, dull as hell if you ask me! And not psychedelic at all, contrary to what some Mojo scribes would have me believe. Sure, it's kinda pleasant... but a great classic? Not in my world.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index