Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.
Nov 29, 2006, 16:46
You know those albums that everyone else seems to consider classics. Recordings of unassailable genius. At least that's what you've been told and read hundreds of times, but sometimes you just don't understand what all the fuss is about. You try and try, but just can't see what others see in them?

Well, two of mine are

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
(well, pretty much anything by The Beach Boys, if I'm honest, but particularly this one. How some people can hear this as the best album ever made is utterly beyond me.)

Television - Marquee Moon
(Listened to this loads of times and I just don't get what all the fuss is about. Supposedly punk in some way this just sounds like guitar wankery prog with a MOR production. The voicce grates and some of the songs are just bloody endless. Yawn!)
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: Records that everyone else seems to love, but you don't get.
Nov 29, 2006, 16:55
Pet Sounds for me too ........... I got into trouble last time that came up here =;o)
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Sep 11, 2015, 20:47
Nov 29, 2006, 16:59
Radiohead - OK Computer
Pompous, whiney, millionaire rockstar records album bemoaning the shallowness of fame. And then goes on to sell more records than ever before. Then makes rather good album on which most of the lyrics are submerged in the production to the point of virtual inaudibility (which is never a bad thing in Radiohead's case). Then reverts to type and band becomes boring again. Sack the singer ferfecksake! The world doesn't need another Roger Waters.

Blur - Parklife
Whoever thought that Chas and Dave on E would be an appealing prospect deserves to be happy slapped on both cheeks with a rotting haddock. If Jamie Oliver fronted a band, this is what they'd sound like. Lawdloveabunchofwankyessexartschoolfopspretendingtobedahnwiththewurkingclaaahses.

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Tried to like this one but really can't find the appeal at all. Sounds like a Byrds tribute band fronted by Charles Hawtrey to me.

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
This is good, but it's definitely not as great as great or as ephocal all the NME polls would have you believe - and what's more, most of its influence has been bad (not that that's the Stone Roses' fault, but nontheless). Not as good as "Screamadelica", "Bummed" or even the Shamen's "In Gorbachev We Trust", all of which - to my ears - are all better stabs at the nascent indie / rave crossover thang than this. A 7 out of 10 album rather than a 10 out of 10 one.
Adman
Adman
157 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2006, 17:13
Nov 29, 2006, 17:12
Pink Floyd - Darkside of the Moon - Can't stand the Female Backing Vocals!!

("Meddle" IMO is far superior to DSOTM).
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 17:13
1, Pet Sounds
2, Sgt Pepper (compared to the other Beatles albums)
3, Van Morrison - Everything he's done
4, Bob Dylan - Nearly all his albums
dave clarkson
2988 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 17:15
oh and the Stone Roses albums

8)
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 17:22
Trout Mask Replica

I like some of their other stuff but I think anyone who listens to this for pleasure is either very fucked up or just lying to sound like a clever shite, euuurgh it's horrible, but that's just my opinion cause it frequently features in top 100 albums of all time polls so what do I know
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 17:23
I totally agree with you on both of those selections. I think my favourite Beach Boys song is that sail on sailor one.

The Beatles are far too over exposed so that it becomes too easy to ignore anything that might be alright. But to my mind Sergeant Pepper and the White Album are a bit patchy to be out and out classics. I have a lot of time for Abbey Road though.

I really don't get what all the fuss is about with Tago Mago. Some of it is actually totally unlistenable. Never really been able to get into Trout Mask Replica either. Safe as Milk and Shiny Beast are far better to these ears. Even Doc at the radar station.

I haven't got any time for The Wall either, although i have to admit to liking DSOTM and Wish you were here.

If you ask me, some early Talking Heads albums haven't really got that much about them to recommend them to me. More songs about buildings and food and 77 are a bit dull i find.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 17:24
Tom Waits.

Captain Beefheart.

Bob Dylan.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 29, 2006, 17:24
Anything by Pink Floyd after and including 'ANIMALS'.
It pretty much became Water's venue to bellyache from there on.
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index