Unsung Forum »
Your favourite Lp's of 2006

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Celtic Frost-Not as good as they used to be
Dec 11, 2006, 16:52
Celtic Frost were a topnotch cutting edge bonkers as anything big swiss cheese thrash/glam/death/countrygrind operametal band in the day, now they are just a metal band, i wouldn't have rated Monotheist as anything above worth a listen if you're a fan.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 11, 2006, 23:47
Re: NME's top 50
Dec 11, 2006, 23:47
I've heard 5 of these: Flaming Lips, CSS, Wolfmother, Be Your Own Pet, and The Gossip.

Doubt any of these would make my top 10, and there's a bunch more on there I deliberately avoid!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Dec 11, 2006, 23:55
Re: Your favourite Lp's of 2006
Dec 11, 2006, 23:54
Here's a bunch of my favorites so far, and I've probably at least "previewed" a few hundred in 2006. (Though ironically, many mentions of things I've NOT heard on HHer's fave lists! Too much bloody music these days!)

By Jan 10 I have pledged to organize them into an actual "top 10" list for the show (also the newspaper likes to print such lists from DJ's!)

Likely Top 5:

Scott Walker "The Drift"
Liars "Drum's Not Dead"
Mission of Burma "The Obliterati"
Fiery Furnaces "Bitter Tea"
Rogers Sisters "The Invisible Deck"

A bunch more that are very good to great:

The Mars Volta "Amputechture"
Earthling Society "Plastic jesus & the third eye blind"
Nomeansno "all roads lead to ausfahrt"
Flaming Lips "At War With The Mystics"
Pere Ubu "Why I hate women"
Yo La Tengo "I am not afraid of you & I will beat your ass"
Turn Me On Dead Man "Technicolour Mother"
The Paybacks "Love, not reason"
Viva Voce "Get yr blood sucked out"
Slayer "Christ illusion" (Dave Lombardo's back!)
Wolfmother "Wolfmother" (though a lot of this CD was previously issued on imports & EP's)
Landing "Brocade" (axctually came out in late 2005.)
riotmaster
1563 posts

Dec 12, 2006, 00:16
Dog 3000 wrote:

Slayer "Christ illusion" (Dave Lombardo's back!)

Indeed!

Dog 3000 wrote:

Wolfmother "Wolfmother"

Wash your mouth out!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Dec 12, 2006, 18:51
No order like but I've enjoyed...

DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage
The Longcut - A Call & Response
Lilly Allen - Alright Still
Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life & Death
OM - Conference Of The Birds
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Brain Doner - Drain'd Boner
Gnarls Barkley - St Elsewhere
System Of A Down - Hypnotise
Teeth Of The Hydra - Green Land

and lots of other stuff that I can't remember when they were released.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

The great debate of 2006: Wolfmother?
Dec 12, 2006, 19:04
I think Wolfmother does Led Zeppelin better than anybody since the White Stripes' "Elephant" LP (which was their best.) Most of the stuff on the recent internationally released s/t Wolfmother CD has been available for a year or two on EP's and imports. I doubt the band will ever top this first batch of the best of their early years. So give them their 15 minutes of acclaim already! Just like The Darkness and Electric Six before them, it's all downhill from here! ;-)
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: NME's top 50
Dec 12, 2006, 19:36
Related to another post on this thread - would be intrigued to hear the Celtic Frost album, weren't they just a poor thrash metal band? >>

Their earlier stuff was thrashy but certainly not poor! They were a punky/thrashy band with doom influences and a really evil atmosphere. They used to be Hellhammer and were a huge influence on the death and black metal scenes. Later on, they went a little 'weirder' and added gothic, industrial, classical and pop influences into their sound. Get their first three and the new one. You shan't regret it, gov'na!

Mike
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: Celtic Frost-Not as good as they used to be
Dec 12, 2006, 19:37
I think it's better than 'worth a listen' but certainly not a masterpiece and I'm even more excited to hear what they do next.

Mike
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Dec 12, 2006, 19:39
What's the big deal with the new Slayer? It just sounds like a modern Seasons In the Abyss (which is a very mediocre and overrated album imo)..

Mike
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Dec 12, 2006, 19:52
I think the new one's a bit more varied than "Seasons" (which was never one of my favorites) -- the "big deal" is that it's the original line-up back together, and Dave Lombardo is a superbad MF on the drums!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index