Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
Drain'd Boner...in case there was any doubt....

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
GeeZa
GeeZa
137 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2006, 03:09
Re: Drain'd Boner...in case there was any doubt....
Oct 13, 2006, 03:08
Well my copy arrived in the USA today, a little bent and bruised but intact.

Erm, it's phenomenal. I openly confess this is only three spins in (actually four of side one), but it grabbed me by the bollocks immediately. Cope hasn't lost it, he's fucking found it. What "it" is I have no idea, but "it'" is dark. I suspect he's found some way to communicate directly with the Black Stone at Mecca and knows 'things' and has attempted to communicate them to us in valve-based aural form.

Side One is a killer. That evil circular riff about half-way through "Nagasaki Mushroom" is frankly astounding and it is fitting that only drums and thunder muster the strength to banish it. An incredible track of black doom that seems to spiral in on itself then unravel then spiral back into some sort of cosmic Iommian swirl. Ends very Volume IV. "Pa Doden's Trae" sounds like the first Sabbath LP but on some kind of new fangled downer narcotic. Let's pretend it exists and is called "Voidesctay". Totally and utterly fucked-up with vocals that sound like Nick Cave pissed out of his mind and about to end it all with a shotgun. The fact that the side completes with the relatively straight-forward up-tempo No Wave rocker "Where Do We Take You" is just plain funny.

Side Two's opener "Metsamor" (which I can't help reading as 'Matzameal' the favourite Jewish ingredient) is some kind of free-roaming nihilistic vision. Like Stone Henge built with black marble and sitting proudly on the whistling red sand dunes of Mars. It appears to lose it's way towards the end, then *that* Iommi riff kicks in, then the thunder starts rumbling in the background and you can only apologise to your record deck for doubting it for one second. Brings the whole track to an appropriate conclusion. "Just About Now" ends the record in pretty much complete shouty chaos and kinda leaves the whole album dangling by a tether like the astronaut in 2001AD who slips off his ship. Questions people, questions. One thing we do know, the pop sensibility has been sucked right out of the fucking airlock.

Drain'd Bonor sounds like nothing I've heard before and yet, obviously, sounds like everything I've heard. Makoto, DMBQ, Denudes, Sabbath, Earth, Crimson, The Melvins, it's all there somewhere, wrapped up in a little dark parcel and delivered to your door by the Reaper himself. C.O.D baby.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index