RUSH

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: RUSH
Jan 17, 2011, 23:48
Yes, they are - providing you can take Geddy Lee's vocals.

I love the eponymous first album: basic metal but with real catchy riffs and licks. 'Fly By Night' was more of the same, but with the beginnings of the prog leanings that would infuse most of their subsequent records. 'Caress Of Steel' was dire, apart from 'Bastille Day' where an awful chorus is diffused by an awesome verse riff. '2112' was as good as 'Caress' was bad - the same long-track formula, but with more energy and much better tunes. 'Farewell To Kings' and 'Hemispheres' saw them getting a bit too far up their own arses, but they were entertaining enough if you could forget what the Clash were doing at the same time.

1980's 'Permanent Waves' is their career high for me. They'd reigned in their pomposity enough to write proper songs again, but with real sophistication. I saw them on tour around that time and they were quite magnificent. In fact, come to think of it, maybe it's the live albums where you should start, since 'All The World's A Stage' and 'Exit Stage Left' are fine one-stop shops of their 70's and early 80's output respectively.

I lost them after 'Moving Pictures' (1981) and 'Signals' (1982), since those albums were only occasionally inspiring to my ears. But I know folks who insist that I'm missing out.

There's loads of cheap Rush compilations out there should you wish to dip your toes cautiously. I remember seeing a 2CD best of in Morrisons for five sobs not so long back.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index