80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
redbarchetta
redbarchetta
335 posts

Re: RUSH
Jan 15, 2011, 12:31
Right. My tuppence worth. Why I like Rush:

1. For all the cleverness and virtuosity, they're still fundamentally a rock band, playing rock, the whole rock and nothing but the rock. Unlike Yes, who for all their cleverness, are a pop band (nothing wrong with that).

2. They've moved with the times, periodically changing their sound. They've now ditched most of the synths and fallen back on to the guitar/bass/drums format for recent albums.

3. They can still surprise you. Decades into their career they released Vapour Trails which, despite the awful mix (remasters promised soon), is my favourite Rush album.

4. I think they've become a sort of template for bands growing old gracefully. They've kept their dignity intact. They're almost anti-celebrities.

5. They've always done their own thing. The documentary details how they risked being dropped than do what the record company wanted of them. They've never been fashionable. There must be virtue in that.

6. The guitar solo on 'Chemistry'; the way 'Big Money' starts; the off-tangent riffing on 'Red Barchetta'; the bass line on By-Tor and the Snow Dog; the fact that 'Peaceable Kingdom' is second only to John Adams' 'On the Transmigration of Souls' as the most intelligent and compelling musical response to 9/11 I've heard; Alex's hilarious ranting during live versions of 'La Ville Strangiato'; Neil Peart's drumming ...

Sorry. I'm a bit of a fan.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index