Unsung Forum »
HH Overrated albums Top 10

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Re: HH Overrated albums Top 10
Oct 06, 2005, 01:42
Sgt. Pepper's is only overrated in the sense that it's considered the BEST album of all time and not only that, the best Beatles album of all time, when it is actually neither of these things. It IS a great album, however, and if I were a critic, I'd have no problem giving it a 10/10.

Mike
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 02:02
Mine:

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead (and its probably one of my favorites haha..I love The Smiths but they never made that ALBUM TO END ALL OF THEIR ALBUMS album, know what I mean? Now that Smiths comp. that I made, on the other hand...)
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's (as I said before, just because it's not their best work. These days though, it's starting to become underrated because of its "overrated" backlash! The Beatles were the best imo and deserve 95% of their reputation dag nabit)
Television - Marquee Moon (just because it's not one of the best albums I've ever laid ears on, as most say it is. It is really fucking good though.)
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (I have to admit, after getting into T. Rex, this one doesn't have the zing it used to have)
Brian Eno - Music For Airports (agree with the others on here, though I haven't run into too many people that overrate it in my personal life)
Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. (only slightly! Because there's a few duff tracks on it..could've cut maybe 3..or 4? Not sure which ones this minute though..definitely "Shake Your Hips!")
The Who - Tommy (not "his" best indeed)
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation (much like Television: very good but not the best fucking album ever, dammit)
The Stooges - Fun House (Though I may be wrong! The Stooges just haven't totally 'hit me' yet..I like them quite a bit but I don't understand why this is revered as one of the top albums of ALL TIME..I may laugh at this sentence in a year or so?)

I disagree about Pet Sounds! Love it!
Mike
BUBBLEHEAD
BUBBLEHEAD
982 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 02:09
Not having an artistic bone in my body I fell somewhat churlish slagging off others endeavours but I just can't see the appeal in the first Stone Roses record. I mean Sally Cinnamon fergawdssake

I'm outta here..........................
Lugia
970 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 02:37
Not sure if I'd go so all-out on it, though. In of itself, yes, it's impressive...but coming as it does in the wake of the amazing 1965-67 'arc' of three albums, it just doesn't seem to have the same strength as those. Granted, we ARE talking about albums such as "Revolver", etc here...even God Almighty would be hard-pressed to top albums like that!

But yes, stacked up against 99.5% of the pop output of the ages, "Sgt. Pepper" can hold its own. It's just in sort of an 'unfortunate' position in The Beatles' output.
Lugia
970 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 02:37
Not sure if I'd go so all-out on it, though. In of itself, yes, it's impressive...but coming as it does in the wake of the amazing 1965-67 'arc' of three albums, it just doesn't seem to have the same strength as those. Granted, we ARE talking about albums such as "Revolver", etc here...even God Almighty would be hard-pressed to top albums like that!

But yes, stacked up against 99.5% of the pop output of the ages, "Sgt. Pepper" can hold its own. It's just in sort of an 'unfortunate' position in The Beatles' output.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 02:49
well I'd agree really. It's not as good as anything made between Revolver and Abbey Road (Yellow Submarine excluded of course).

Mike
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 08:24
i agree - beatles for sale is an unfettered, cast-iron 100% masterpiece. 'baby's in black', 'no reply', 'eight days a week', 'i'm a loser' etc. severely underrated classic. good call mr bear!
Seb
Seb
600 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 08:28
yer right, it's dated really badly, but at the time, that was the dog's bollocks. and that's a tad harsh re: stones / remixes; that was half their alchemy - the way they fused all this stuff together into one lush, loose-limbed whole. and don't forget 'higher than the sun'. they transcended everything with that there baby.
Rolling Ronnie
Rolling Ronnie
1468 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 09:21
I'm right with you on 'Trout Mask Replica'. Bought with eager anticipation after previous Beefheart outings and I still can't get into it all these years later.

Personally, I think that you should rate any album on the first few hearings. Saying an album is over-rated after playing it to death for 20 years is bollocks.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 06, 2005, 10:00
Nah, it sounded ersatz and cheap at the time too. So, how many versions of Higher Than The Sun have there been (other than the two on the album)? Actually, best thing I saw them do around that time was that live on the Late Show. Loads of huge guitars following the bass line. since then I've checked out every album they release because the press always paint them as sounding like that performance. They never do :-(
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index