Prejudice

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Prejudice
Jun 23, 2005, 00:32
Apart from genres that are pretty obviously easy to hate (eg: Goa trance, Emo), the two genres in which I feel I've probably been missing some decent stuff due to an incurable aversion are Country music and Opera. I've tried with both, but can't do it. I was given aversion therapy in childhood as far as Country music goes, and with Opera I just can't stand the overly mannered voices, especially female ones which have the same effect as fingernails down a blackboard to me. Choral music I'm fine with, it's just histrionic solo operatic voices I can't stand.
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 01:44
What's Americana? Never heard of it, and I'm there.

do tell.
red peony
red peony
645 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 01:57
I think rap music is the worst sludge being passed off as music, really. Growing up in Long Beach, Ca, home of Snoop Dog, some of NWA, and being very close to Los Angeles, there's nothing romantic or *cool* about that lifestyle. Yet we have university-educated, upper-income white kids acting like they know what it's like to be *street* and yet, trust me, they drive thru those parts of town and they get their little whiteboy asses shot at. That music reflects the lifestyle, glamourises it, and turns it out for massive consumption. Why people want to assimilate to the lowest common denominator, I'll never understand.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 06:42
I'm not sure if the Pazant Brothers count as a marching band, they've got the tuba 'n everything, but they're funkier than toe jam in skunk juice, so the Pazant Brothers would be my exception to the marching band moratorium
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 08:45
I wish more record/band reviews were like that!
=;o)
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 08:52
Or "Ska - punk". I can't hear any ska or any punk in any of those bands!
The Specials, Selector, etc. That was ska punk, being ska played aggressively just at the end of the punk era.
Less than Jake, No Doubt (!), etc. ....I am rightly prejudiced against.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 09:48
I tend to be put off anything that's referred to as "[anything]adelic"
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 09:54
Now that's just prejudicadelic...

x
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 09:59
Actually, I would have had no time for anything that could described as a 'rock opera' until a couple of weeks ago...

x
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 10:00
glad I'm 'edelic' then
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index