Unsung Forum »
Prejudice

Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lugia
970 posts

Re: Prejudice
Jun 23, 2005, 15:49
Not to mention the New Orleans funeral bands...again, they're bands, they do march, and they're undeniably cool...
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 18:31
Go home!
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 18:45
ah yes,,,,I'm prejudiced against the following

1. petra haden

2. artists named "Josh"

3. any record where the singer sounds too earnest.

4. bad lyrics

5. unfashionable trousers

6. the 80s (a most baleful decade)

7. contemporary country music (i.e., no irony)

8. death metal

9. bands with pins through their noses and lots of tatoos. like their tough or something. bunch of pussies.

10. any punk record made after 1980 (except the Libertines, but then, they're not really punk. they're just really good.)

11. sometimes i go down the hill for lunch at a chinese fast food chain called panda express, and quite a few times on the piped-in music, I've heard a terrible modern cover version of Big Yellow Taxi where the female kooky jazz singer sings the last line in an exaggeratedly low voice and then laughs self-consciously. Now, I don't condone violence, and certainly not towards women, though when I hear that track I do day dream about finding that singer and slapping her in the face with a large dead fish.

that's all for now. cheers.
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 18:50
ah..it's Amy Grant.

Are you listening Amy? I've got a two-foot striped bass with your name on it....
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 20:22
No, pretty effective Irish answer to Transglobal UNderground etc as I recall.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Americana
Jun 23, 2005, 20:27
Was Americana a reaction to world music? Like why look desperately outside your borders when there's a great deal of different traditions at home?

That sounds a tad xenophpobic but I think there's been some interesting stuff from the area.
Think it really starts with The Band , whose 1st 2cds I bought today coincidentally.

Apparently it was THe band that inspired Ashley Hutchings to go & see what traditional British stuff he could come up with for Liege & LIef.
Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 20:35
Weird that, been meaning to bring up reading Styx talking about a love of mid-late '60s Pretty Things & Who. Was a great shock on reading them saying that in REcord Collector.
Haven't knowingly heard them though
Stevo
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 23, 2005, 20:54
You Bill O'Reilly or something?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Styx
Jun 23, 2005, 20:59
Well Dennis DeYoung certainly picked up on the "theatrical rock opera" shtick from the Who. Lately he writes broadway showtunes, which makes perfect sense considering most of Styx's biggest hits were the anthemic ballads he wrote (Lady, Babe, The Best Of Times, Don't Let it End.)

But there are also a few fun prog-pop moments to be found throughout their LP's. "Come Sail Away" and "Mr. Roboto" are just good fun, ya know?

The guitarists Tommy Shaw and James Young weren't half bad in a 70's midwestern rock mode either. They wrote the more "uptempo rockin" numbers. Some of Shaw's songs are interesting (the paranoid rant "Too Much Time on My Hands.")

Their best LP's are probably "The Grand Illusion" (1977) and "Pieces of Eight" (1978). "Paradise Theatre" (1980) is more pop-oriented, but kind of a classic of it's genre (though few have respect for the genre of "early 80's midwestern FM radio rock" with admittedly good reason.)

Of course where & when I grew up they were duking it out with REO for the title of #1 band . . . it's like this stuff is in my DNA.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

PS - Styx
Jun 23, 2005, 21:03
They are strictly a bargain-bin vinyl band, I wouldn't spend more than $1-2 for any of their albums . . . and they are the sort of unhip-once-popular group where you shouldn't have to (heck up here you can find em all for $0.25 easy . . . )
Pages: 10 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index