The Beatles are/were rubbish.

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Re: The Beatles are/were rubbish.
May 11, 2005, 18:33
There's no such thing as overrated. So lots of people like things you personally can't abide? Fact of life. 99% is shit & all that...

I think Shrimp put it well.
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

May 11, 2005, 18:39
Pete Best wasn't rubbish.He was one of the original fifth Beatles. & Ringo Starr was actually quite good drummer he could play with his nose.
Tangerine Pete
Tangerine Pete
487 posts

May 11, 2005, 19:14
er...some of the early stuff, when divorced from the myth, does seem quaint in retrospect. it's hard to separate the myth from what they are/were/did/represented.

Case in point, the movie Help features their all-time worst songs such as Another Girl and The Night Before, though the totality of the film is mind-stormingly brilliant. The cool detached humor, the casual way they drift through the script, as if there almost amused by the ridiculousness of the movie as it happens around them,, the James Bond parodies...this is brilliance. It started the Monkees, and influenced Python.

On records, I think you would be hardpressed to come up with a better single than Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane. That record is sheer fucking genius.

those two achievements alone would be the envy of any pop band.

most definitely not rubbish. excessively praised, yes. unjustly praised? no.
red peony
red peony
645 posts

May 11, 2005, 20:51
I think Michael Stipe said that The Beatles were to him, elevator music. The songs had been covered and re-covered and watered down to appeal to MOR audiences that they just didn't mean anything.
Earl Mallard
Earl Mallard
555 posts

May 11, 2005, 21:45
Stipes a bit of a boring fucker though isn't he. I can see his point though.
It doesn't help when magazines such as Mojo/Uncut put The Beatles on their cover all the time.
I got more into them around the time the whole Anthology thing started. My Beatles problem got so bad I even bought solo 'Ringo' cos it contains a post split John/George/Ringo collaboration.
It would have been perfect without those pesky Wings!
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

May 11, 2005, 22:07
I loved the Beatles as a child and a teen and still think Revolver is a great record. Brilliant, even. All the other albums have some good songs but that's the only one that really gets me still. SPLHCB is super over-rated! And Let it Be? No thanks. Hey Jude? No way in hell.
Once I heard Odyssey and Oracle the Beatles lost a lot in my eyes...and then I heard all the other revolutionary sixties bands and, well, they just seemed mainstream. But there is nothing wrong with loving them. They were a good band but no band could live up to all the injk and hype foisted at them. It's not their fault people won't let it go. If no one had ever heard of them and you happened to hear those records, you'd probably be shouting from the rooftops about this amazing band you found! It's a fact: people cannot separate their dislike of a band's legacy and ardent following from the music of that band. Sad, but true. Except me, I can. I'm special.
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

May 11, 2005, 22:08
oh, and injk was supposed to be ink.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

May 11, 2005, 22:11
Fucking ridiculous. The Beatles rocked, they had great writing/arranging instincts and were open-minded & adventurous within rock & pop, sometimes even revoluionary.
Do you say stupid shit just to get attention or what?
I don't really listen to them anymore either but tunes like "Baby, You're a Rich Man", "I am the Walrus", "Helter Skelter", "Tomorrow Never Knows", and even all had tremendous impact on listeners, I think, making avant-garde musical ideas accessible to millions. That's no joke! Get a fuckin' clue!!
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: "and even ?"
May 11, 2005, 22:21
and even "Penny Lane" (listen to that outro!)
Earl Mallard
Earl Mallard
555 posts

Re: "and even ?"
May 11, 2005, 22:36
I love 'I'm Only Sleeping'. Must have listened to it thousands of times and it's still as good. 'Revolver' sounds much better on my old mono vinyl copy. It's even slightly different to the cd version. 'Tomorrow Never Knows' doesn't fade in, 'Yellow Submarine' has more of Lennon's shouty bit... I don't know why.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index