Soundtrack to our lives: 12th March 05

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Trout Mask Emperor
Mar 18, 2005, 00:21
I like some of 'Trout Mask' but I've got to be in the mood. Whilst I've always been a stanch believer of the "Whatever floats your boat" philosophy, I've always felt a touch of emperor's new clothes syndrome about this one. Zappa albums always had the musical qualities to rescue me if I didn't always appreciate the pervading in-house humor ('u' deliberately left out), but 'Trout' has no such succour. Definitely an album I admire rather than love. But really, life's too short for it while there's so much wonderful music still to be heard.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Re: Soundtrack to our lives: 12th March 05
Mar 18, 2005, 00:26
Nah, I agree. Hang on to your scratchy Charisma vinyl (why couldn't Phonogram press a decent record in the 70's???). Fine album, with the following 'Quark, Strangeness and Charm' even finer. Still relishing that CD copy of it, by the way Mick - thanks.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

other Bee-fart (what my fiancée heard)
Mar 18, 2005, 03:59
I love "Kandy Korn". The bonus tracks on the Mirror Man Sessions disc are excellent and in the same vein, "Trust Us" being especially wonderful. I just got "Safe As Milk" today - I'm really only familiar with "Electricity" but I'm looking forward to popping this in to the CD player in a few days.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: Trout Mask Emperor
Mar 18, 2005, 04:07
I have the same feeling, but some of the tracks are truly wonderful: "Ella Guru", "Moonlight on Vermont", "Hair Pie: Bake 2", "Veterans Day Poppy", "Steal Softly Through Snow", "Hobo Chang Ba" all come to mind right off the bat and I know there's more. It might help to pop in the CD and just play a track or two at a time; it certainly helped me to appreciate more tracks on the album, not taking the whole thing in one sitting.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: other Bee-fart (what my fiancée heard)
Mar 18, 2005, 04:23
"Safe As Milk" is a big fave..Enjoy!
(Hope you got the bonus tracks version of this as well.. )
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Mar 19, 2005, 00:15
No probs glad u like it enjoy the Hatfields tonite

All the best
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: other Bee-fart (what my fiancée heard)
Mar 19, 2005, 00:46
"Safe As Milk"

One of the best albums of the 1960s IMHO

Holy Shit!...... once this album get's into the pores of your skin there's no escape!

Pure excellence!

:-D
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Mar 19, 2005, 00:48
"What was it with the early 80's and chorused basses? they were everywhere !"

Magazine's Barry Adamson didn't realise what he was starting...

Good ol' Bazza!

;-)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index