Soundtrack to our lives: 12th March 05

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Soundtrack to our lives: 12th March
Mar 14, 2005, 10:42
I'm sure he is. Just wish he'd at least retire (better?) instead of pissing all over my youth.
keith a
9572 posts

Re: Soundtrack to our lives: 12th March
Mar 14, 2005, 12:10
I take it you don't like the electronic albums then?

Some are better than others, but they've all got their moments imo.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Red
Mar 14, 2005, 14:12
Some of the instrumental textures are reminiscent of Neubauten (probly vice versa but that was the order I encountered them in & EN use actual bits of metal aqs perciussion I don't think that era KC do, though Jamie Muir might have )
Very dark music, what else would you reccommend like that? Presumably it has been a major influence on loads since.

reading that In THe Court Of King Crimson book has me wanting to check out the rest of their early 70s releases including the live stuff from the Fan Club.
Was hoping i'd come across a dealo on ebay but haven't as yet.
Stevo
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Hey hang onto yerself
Mar 14, 2005, 14:16
I don't think its a really good idea to lose yourself. What would come into the vacuum created.
Would somebody else take your place? Like you walk past yer mates on the street only its not you cos you're lost and the impostor don't recognise them?

as the geezer in 2046 says 'there's one thing I'll never lend'. Or is egoloss a negative fear?
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: God
Mar 14, 2005, 14:23
At one point there were about 6 different bandscalled God that I was aware of across the globe(+a myriad of bands with it as their first name). Is the one you're talking about the Australian Detroit dunt crew?
I can't recall if he picked up on the Brixton based noise crew who used to host the Mule club, but would've assumed they'd be right up his alley. Anatomy of Addiction was a great lp as was the remix thing. That included a track redone by Scott Harding /The Lumberjacks of new KIngdom fame.
Funny thing I recall was walking around Camden with a guy who said that the Brixton crew would have to change their name since he'd copyrighted it. Think I was either too hung over or too diplomatic to point out how funny that was.
Stevo
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Mar 14, 2005, 14:45
It was a sad loss to KC when Jamie Muir left.
He did indeed use 'bits of metal' in his percussive arsenal. There may be some documentation on the 'Great Deceiver' box-set, but don't hold me to it!
I wish they would have cut down on the 'songs' a bit more (as much as I do like them) and had more of that dark, intense instrumental material recorded.
Listening to the 30th anniversary re-ish of 'Lark's Tongues...' (originally released in 1972), you can hear a clearer sound, but Muir was never given enough 'wumpf' in the mix!
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

God - Yeah!!
Mar 14, 2005, 15:14
Ah Stevo....

Re: "Anatomy of Addiction"

...and also the "Possession" album, I've only heard a bit of "Loco" - but the stuff I heard was great.
They were a very unsung 'God' to boot.

Kevin Martin also did some great stuff with Justin Broadrick as Techno-Animal as well as being behind the organisation of those great Virgin compilations 'Macro Dub Infection' and 'Isolationism' also from the mid-nineties.

Thanks for re-jigging my memory - must re-investigate!
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Mar 14, 2005, 16:35
errr no it is not
some of the heavy instumental stuff is quite ok but the stop start nature of tempo change and those awful prog vocals means that it is reduced to an overall not that wonderful album
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Re: God - Yeah!!
Mar 14, 2005, 17:07
Ha!...I figured Keith's God was a diffeent God(his being Aussie and all),but I couldn't remember who was in the "isolationist" God,Kevin Martin or Justin Broadrick as for some reason I've *always* confused one for the other,but there you go...they were Both in the band!

Good stuff is it,then?
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: God - Yeah!!
Mar 14, 2005, 17:28
>Good stuff is it,then?

Hell yeah.....although I had to part with quite a few CDs in the mid-90s due to a separation with a girlfriend and needed to keep the mortgage going!
I will have to hunt them down again (the CDs that is!).

In the process of finding out more, after Stevo had mentioned God earlier, I found this piece on Kevin Martin...

http://www.uncarved.org/dub/bug/bug.html

I would STRONGLY recommend the album by Techno Animal entitled- "Re-Entry" - Superb!!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index