Your 10 favorite Post-Punk Groups ever

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Ooh, ooh! Can I play?
Jan 01, 2005, 10:53
Based on what I remember buying, listening to, going to see during that era, fave bands would have to be:

The Only Ones - Perrett = God
The Teardrop Explodes - Always loved Julian's melodies and quirky 'Englishness'
Wire - 1st 3 albums are immense
The Mekons - Adored the first album and singles
Eyeless In Gaza - Thought these two guys were going to change the face of popular music
Bauhaus - Made me ralise that it wasn't a sin to put on a show to entertain your audience (or piss off someone else's!)
Magazine - Hearing 'Shot By Both Sides' for the first time remains one of the defining moments of my life
Killing Joke - Absolutely frightening to witness them live
Pere Ubu - Awesome collection of songs. Unfortunately didn't get to see them live until 'Cloudland' but was never without 'Datapanik...' near the front of my vinyl

Didn't get The Fall until 'Perverted...', tho' the singles were always listenable. Totally unaware of Mission Of Burma until 2004 when Sev & StensilHead sent me some stuff, Sisters of Mercy were ok, Mission were crap, Joy Division were Joy Division, early Bunnymen singles were good, ...

There were loads of bands that I dipped in and out of, buying the odd single or two...
Manicured Noise, Au Pairs, The Flys, Carpettes,
Scars (look out for their version of Steve Harley's 'Psychomodo'), Wah! Heat, Pink Military, Kleenex, PiL, Modern English, Passions,Monochrome Set, Scientists, I'm So Hollow, ...

Had a secret crush on Hestor out of Dolly Mixtures; when we saw them live, everyone was buzzing hoping 'The Captain' would be in attendance... I just stood moon-faced, staring at Hestor all night.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index