Ahead of their time

78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Cluster/Harmonia, etc.
Aug 02, 2004, 18:01
No one's mentioned Harmonia and Cluster (circa "Zuckerzeit" and "Sowiesoso")? Tracks on Harmonia's debut were structurally very close to later electronica, though not timbrally. "Watussi" is built from loops that are gradually mixed in and out like a DJ would on turntables. Rhythm stutters through echo on "Veterano" to raise the intensity near the end, reminding me of some Plastikman. The Cluster album "Zuckerzeit" is more electronic in timbre; I once played some for a friend who said, "If you had told me this was Mouse On Mars, I would have believed it." On the other hand, how many contemporary electronica features polymetricity?

In regards to Tangerine Dream: they weren't the only ones fooling around that way in the early/mid 70's. What about Klaus Schulze's work, or the echo guitar of Manuel Göttsching? "E2-E4" really anticipates chill-out house.

One I'm curious about is the bonus track on the CD reissue of Conrad Schnitzler's "Blau"; it sounds way more "advanced" (just from the 'tribal' rhythms) than his other pieces from the time, but was supposedly recorded in the same period.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index