Ahead of their time

78 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2609 posts

Re: Ahead of their time
Jul 29, 2004, 23:02
I'll second Popel Vooje's suggestion of early Tangerine Dream - 'Alpha Centauri' and 'Zeit' sound like the most ambient of house fifteen years early, and 'Phaedra', 'Rubycon' and 'Ricochet' (a classic triumvirate to my ears) must've been a massive influence on Georgio Moroder in their innovative use of sequencers.

I remember hearing 'Movements Of A Visionary' from 'Phaedra' on Top Gear in early '74 - the first Tangs I'd yet heard - and thinking that this was music totally unlike anything else I'd heard before. I still think that.

But the definitive original record - not only ahead of its time but absolutely timeless - is Robert Wyatt's 'Rock Bottom', only 7 Virgin albums on from 'Phaedra' as far its catalogue number was concerned*. Try to relate any one of its six unique tracks to anything else you've heard before. I swear I can't.

(* Hats off to Virgin in its earliest years: no other British rock label was adventurous enough to sign a roster of bands and artists as diverse and individual as Tangerine Dream, Gong, Henry Cow, Robert Wyatt, Faust, Hatfield and the North, Lol Coxhill, Beefheart, Slapp Happy and Klaus Schultze. Then they signed shite like Supercharge and Yellow Dog and it all went sour until the Pistols.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index