Popol Vuh

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Re: Popol Vuh
Jul 04, 2004, 22:50
Reminds me of the day I got the Cocteau Twins Victorialands. I'll never forget my dissappointment after the two EP's when I'd rushed home to play it to find that they were now fronted by a man with a very deep voice, closely followed by my intense embarrasment it was to be played at 45rpm. Still to this day my favourite album by them, sucks at 33rpm tho lol
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 23:18
If you ever manage to get hold of an original vinyl copy of PiL's "Metal Box", try playing that at 33 rpm. Pretty obvious where Swans got their early sound from - sounds like an elephant giving birth during a particularly vicious speed comedown.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Einsjager + Sebensjager
Jul 06, 2004, 19:43
I just listened to "one hunter & seven hunter" (what does that mean anyway?) -- yes, quite good. Maybe I am just biased towards electric guitars tho. ;-)
zuggog
286 posts

Jul 06, 2004, 22:16
Just got popol vuh s/t 1972[the nord ones] It's ok, but nothing great, mellotron, flute occassional decent guitar. Sounds like pieces of many British bands including tull,crimson,earlygenesis etc, also a touch of jazz.but still manage their own sound. Sleeve notes liken them to Beggars opera and Spring. Their next album apparently changed to a straight guitar/drums/bass/keys/vocs and was entitled Quiche Maya. After that florien fricke from the german outfit became aware of them and so they had to ditch the name, but made three more albums under the moniker Popol Ace.
This first album is musically very competent, does have some slightly lame bits ie the start of first track is a worry, but it does have it,s moments, and a must if you are a collector and don't just buy the gems.
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Re: Einsjager + Sebensjager
Jul 07, 2004, 10:50
it's very easy on the ear,
really love the breezy wistful quality of the first side in particular
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Feb 06, 2012, 17:21
Thanks to The Seth Man for a cool
review of Affenstunde
1001realapes
1001realapes
2389 posts

Edited Mar 31, 2015, 16:47
Popol Vuh - Kailash: Pilgrimage to the Throne of the Gods
Mar 31, 2015, 16:46
http://www.souljazzrecords.co.uk/releases/?id=41244
MC
638 posts

Re: Popol Vuh - Kailash: Pilgrimage to the Throne of the Gods
Mar 31, 2015, 17:45
Thanks.
phallus dei
583 posts

Apr 01, 2015, 10:08
Would be interesting to know what people think of this release. Is it worth getting? I'm skeptical about the quality of the made-in-the-90s Kailash CD. While the piano works CD sounds more appealing, I already have the great 20 minute "Spirit of Peace" suite that came out on one of the dubious reissues of Aguirre from the 90s, so I'm not sure if I need to get this. Still, I do love classic era PV...
MC
638 posts

Apr 02, 2015, 13:52
I'm definitely getting it - particularly for the DVD which I'm sure will be stunning. From the samples the sound on disc 2 doesn't sound any worse than the piano stuff on disc 1, a couple of the tracks sound similar to the stuff on Aguirre which is a good thing in my book.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index