Popol Vuh

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rock Wagram
Rock Wagram
316 posts

Re: Popol Vuh
Jul 02, 2004, 14:17
I assume you have it then...any chance of a tape or summat? Prob got something you want in return...
Can you play it upside down with yr knees behind yr head..?
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jul 02, 2004, 15:39
I agree. If you want a heavier PV album with Renate Knaup on it 'Letzte Tage, Letzte Nachte' is the one to get. It's short but brilliant.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Jul 02, 2004, 17:53
"Sei Still, Wisse ICH BIN" is the key album from their last period of quality, the darker, gothic stuff starting around the Nosferatu soundtrack and up to "Agape, Agape". The beginning of the album has massive choir and drums, sort of like Magma mixed with some American Indian sensibilities. Then there's a growling, Tibetan style piece, all somewhat scary. The album gets progressively lighter in mood until ending in a typically pretty Popol Vuh manner.

While worthwhile, I would recommend "Letzte Tage - Letzte Nächte", "Hosianna Mantra", and "In den Gärten Pharaos" first.

Haven't heard the Norwegian group (spelled a little differently: Popul Vuh) as it doesn't sound interesting to me.
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Jul 02, 2004, 22:02
Only own a couple of their albums so I'm no PV expert, but I really rate Einsjager and Seibenjager, really beautiful stuff
timewind
148 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 14:40
the Norwegian outfit did 2 albums....the first is called 'Quiche Maya' and comes with a plastic outer bag ( over the sleeve )..its pedestrian prog rock with not very good english vocals.

' Sei still ' was incidentally released on Klaus Schulze's label 'IC' and actually ran at 33rpm.

Its a dark percussive choral work, which I think forms a soundtrack to a film that PV were involved with which came out on video a few years back.

The photo on sleeve is a still from the film

Tx

Timewind
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Einsjager + Sebensjager
Jul 04, 2004, 15:18
this was reissued recently, plus bonus tracks., do you know who did it?
I've been meaning to get a copy for ages. So far only have Hosianna Mantra
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

Re: Einsjager + Sebensjager
Jul 04, 2004, 16:08
Mines an older Spalax re-issue from 1992 without bonus tracks and it was quite cheap when I picked it up, I guess because of newer ones you mention. Well worth investigating. Although I don't own Hosianna Mantra bits of it I have heard are very different to Einsjager, the latter being piano and electric guitar based. HM is gonna be the next PV album I buy.
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Jul 04, 2004, 17:58
You mean it actually ran at 45rpm? I remember reading that Fricke didn't want to put out another album on IC (whose LPs usually ran at 45rpm) after "Sei still", for fear that people were playing his album at the wrong speed.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Sei still . . .
Jul 04, 2004, 20:58
Seems to me that's a short album, like 29 minutes -- so 45rpm sort of makes sense.
timewind
148 posts

Re: Sei still . . .
Jul 04, 2004, 22:35
yes..it does run at 45 rpm...its about 30 mins long..the idea being that 45 is a better sound quality than 33rpm. The Ic label released a few albums at 45 rpm although Klaus Schulze's ' Trancefer' was not one of them !!

Tx

Timewind
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index