your favorite band

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Father Sky
Father Sky
323 posts

Re: your favorite band
Jun 25, 2004, 20:54
The best music is music that generally doesn't work as background music because it draws your attention and fills your thoughts with intense emotions and truly makes you reconsider your attitude to life and makes you view things differently and put problems in perspective and generally just tickles your brain a little.

So, pretty much any band recommended by Julian or talked about fondly here is my 'favourite' band. Plus the vast quantity of other beauties which I know are out there just waiting to be listened to.
direwolf
92 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 05:30
I'm not gonna list all my fav's... too many and too many of you are gonna list the same stuff, but you invited dislikes as well so I'll tell you mine.........
My number one most hated and despised group is with out a doubt U2!!! They were shit 20 years ago and they're even worse now!! Followed closely by those most horrendous purveyors of all that is lame.... the Beach Boys!!!! I believe that both groups owe the world an appology for subjecting us to their crap!!
Sorry to rant, I got it out of my system now, I'll be okay..... honest.
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Re: Dig list
Jun 26, 2004, 07:00
toss those Zappa lps and get some ZZ Top, Dog!
or keep your Zappa if you must, just be sure to get those first 6 ZZ Top lps pronto!
zuggog
286 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 07:20
Man, Amon duul, Groundhogs Golden Earring, Van Der Graaf Generator Stray Hawkwind Atomic Rooster Dandy Warhols seem to be the groups whose every cd I seem to have, so I guess they must be faves.
However krautrock is getting most of my listening time, Can Gila, My Solid Ground, Frumpy etc.
Didn't Grand Funk Railroad turn into goddamn Christians?? They were selling their stuff on ebay for damn near zilch the other day.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 15:48
U2, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

Bono -- sounds like he should be in a tenth-rate late-period Prog-rock band.

The Edge -- Can't play guitar.

One of the worst rythm sections ever.

And they all made a career out of ripping off every post-punk band, just as Lenny Kravitz contantly rips-off classic 60s/70s rock.

At least "Out Of Control" was fairly half decent...
rotwang
11 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 17:44
Yep...Grand Funk - or at least Mark Farner - did "go Christian" at some point. I remember seeing some reformed version of them circa 1988, without Don and Mel, where Mr. Farner actually changed the lyrics of all the songs to be about Jesus.

I.E. in "Paranoid" it was like, "Did you ever get the feelin' that JESUS is watching you..."
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 18:21
I think it would be pretty difficult to cite my favourite band since I have quite a few.
will say that i'm pretty heavily into psych stuff from the '60s through to present day. plus a lot of the weirder noise bands from the '80s, jazz from Duke Ellington to Albert Ayler, John Coltrane to Bobetomagus, blues especially delta though Chicago stuff has its merits , non string drowned country, hillbilly Boogie, rock and roll, soul, middle eastern ethnic stuff. folk, britfolk, African stuff, reggae, dub and the odd bit of classical. Musicals, avant garde etc etc. Have I kmissed anything?
Stevo
Np Sun Ra Lanquidity
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 18:57
First time someone mentioned Borbetomagus. YAZZAH! Great band!
keith a
9573 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 00:53
Too many, but...

T.Rex, Teardrops, Nick Drake, Stooges, Wire, Sex Pistols, Smiths, Velvets, Doors, Beach Boys, Dusty Springfield, Joy Division, early Damned, Stereolab, Loop Guru, Pet Shop Boys, Sonic Youth, Only Ones, etc.

On a more recent front, I like the following albums from this century as much as most albums ever -
For Carnation, Tarwater's Atom..., Notwists Neon Golden, the latest Lali Puna.

Dislikes - Clapton, ELP, boy bands, Phil Collins, David Gray, and this weeks addition...Damien Rice.

And even though a lot of people who had/have similar tastes to me liked them, I was never very keen on the Comsat Angels either!
laresident
laresident
861 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 04:54
For some reason I tend to like music by musicians who have dabbled in drugs as an aid to inspiration.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index