Unsung Forum »
your favorite band

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stillhab
8 posts

Re: your favorite band
Jun 27, 2004, 05:43
Everyone should own "The Very Best Of Jake Thackray". Go out and buy it now. Sadly he's now dead, but his music isn't. If you don't know him, then you need him !!
Yes I do know he wasn't a band. He was far more fun than most of them.
Five
Five
960 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 06:24
right now:

Acid Mothers Temple
Neon Brown
Siamese (just heard they broke up, now their bass player is jammin' drums for me - weird)
High Rise
Kinski

can't think any other "bands" to call "favorites" right now, though I listen to a lot of other "stuff"
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 09:18
likes: ac/dc, aguaturbia, almendra, alice cooper, agitation free, aeroblus, aerosmith, kevin ayers, bango, black flag, black sabbath, bloodrock, blue cheer, blue oyster cult, tina brooks, james brown, boredoms, bowie, can, celtic frost, cluster, la cofradia de la flor solar, color humano, damned, deep purple, kubero diaz, rogerio duprat, faust, flipper, funkadelic, grant green, gong, hawkwind, hendrix, randy holden, iggy & stooges, the JBs, killing joke, king tubby, fela kuti, laghonia, led zeppelin, magma, melvins, meters, modulo 1000, motorhead, mc5, new york dolls, luigi nono, lee perry, pescado rabioso, pink fairies, public image ltd., ike quebec, red crayola, hans reichel, ramones, residents, giacinto scelsi, scientist, sir lord baltimore, snakefinger, slapp happy, sleep, soft machine, som imaginario, sweet, tank, thin lizzy, throbbing gristle, cal tjader, t. rex, upsetters, velvet underground, wire, iannis xenakis, young marble giants, zz top etc.

dislikes: dr. dre, grateful dead, oasis, zappa, cure, eagles, hole, sonic youth, eminem, metallica.
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 10:05
I like musicians who have 'over dabbled' Syd, Roky etc
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 15:20
was va bit of a liberty of me actually since 've only got the Barefoot in The head thing with Thuirston Moore instead of Don Miller. Have meant to pick up some more ever since.
What would you reccommend?

Plus I realised after leaving that I missed rap +funk though I need more of each . +I am somewhat selective of what rap/hip-hop stuff I get.
Definitely more early Public Enemy + Wu Tang Clan than commercial stuff. Do love New KIngdom's Paradise Don't Come Cheap and the Goats' Tricks of the Shade though I can't find my copy of the latter or a replacement.
Stevo
Np Slim Gaillard Laughing in Rhythm Opera in Vout
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 16:55
The first two albums, especially Work On What Has Been Spoiled. I think the first one was reissued on CD, which I have. Any other album is worth getting.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 16:59
Someone else likes Bloodrock! I got in trouble for saying I liked them. A guilty pleasure, and I'll admit alot of their stuff is pretty lame, but at least their worst stuff can be screamingly funny!
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 20:39
paul leary of the butthole surfers has mentioned bloodrock as an influence in a few interviews-
and they did record some awful crap as you rightly point out....but there's great stuff on that first lp, okay stuff on the second and the live album and that cover for bloodrock USA is 'mind-blowing'....MELVIN LAID AN EGG!!
Lee Pickens has a solo record I've never heard...
Lawrence
9547 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 22:10
Of course Leary might've been into Bloodrock 'cos they were from Texas. I have a CD re-issue of the first Bloodrock which is a bit different from later... More like Iron Butterfly and Steppenwolf and there's still some late-psych influence. The second wasn't as consistant but did have DOA and various weird stuff and the worst-ever attempt at a ballad -- "Sable And Pearls", but it's so overdone it's hilarious!
sakedelic
sakedelic
936 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 18:57
after posting my list from memory (at work) got home and realized a major omission:
der rolling stones, of course, a huge chunk of my lp collection right there. DOH!
might also add judas priest since I wasn't too embarrassed to admit liking bloodrock
or sweet might as well give halford & co. a nod - i've got more priest (8 lps) than bloodrock
(4 lps) or sweet (5 lps)
cds don't count!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index