Failure to deliver - predictions

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: SPIN's kiss of death for 2004
Feb 03, 2004, 00:06
You may be right "in theory" but "in practice" I'm sure these are shitty lifestyle-marketing-unit-shifters more than "bands."

Tell you what, I'm gonna download songs by Thursday, Interpol and the Distillers and write a detailed review of just how crass & shitty (or brilliant & unsung) they are. (The Darkness has been discussed enough around here.) Fair enough?

As for the rest -- I'm pretty well plugged-in to "what's new" and the fact that I keep seeing this Brody woman everywhere on magazine covers and MTV etc., but that not one person I know in real life listens to them or plays them on the radio indicates they're not worth my time. I am not afraid to test the theory!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 03, 2004, 00:21
Do what you like Dog dude. Just as long as it's not telling me how shit bands are without having actually heard them. You may feel comfortable with the 'judging a book by it's cover' theory but I don't.

And anyway, weren't/aren't you a KISS fan (judging by prevous posts); didn't they hog the magazine covers in just the way that you abhor? Or is that ok 'cos you like 'em? Is that the 'context' you were talking about?

And of course I don't expect you to suddenly say "Wow, hold on these bands are great" (Not heard Thursday meself so I don't know) after you've down loaded 'em 'cos I don't really care whether you like them or not. But at least when you do go into your promised diatribe of how crappy , 'lifestyle' or whatever they supposedly are I'll know you actually listened to 'em.

If you're going to have an opinion on everything dude, expect people to disagree from time to time.

Peace.
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Re: Failure to deliver - predictions
Feb 03, 2004, 00:22
The big PMJ* words used to be Eclectic and Seminal. How things have changed.

*pretentious music journalist
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Quick review #1: The Distillers
Feb 03, 2004, 00:32
Just listened to "Sick of it All", "City of Angels" and "Girlfixer" by The Distillers, annointed as "the Next Big Thing" in the current issue of SPIN. These songs were chosen because they were the most popular on WinMX when I checked a few minutes ago.

The Distillers are a four-piece band: guitar-bass-drums + singer (who happens to be a girl.)

Let's start with the music: it is totally generic "Rock", generally played fast which I guess is what qualifies it as "Punk." A little Motorhead, a lot of 2nd-tier 80's LA hairmetal (i.e. LA Guns, not Guns & Roses.) Though of course (as another article on The Darkness in this same SPIN issue puts it) Americans have no use for irony, so these guys have shortish multicolored "punk" hair cuz (that's what's cool in high school these days, those kids buy the records) Long feathered poodle hair would probably fit better, but that would be "ironic" in the current marketing context, therefore they look like every other tatooed California "Punk" Band of today.

The singer: sounds kinda like Joan Jett, or really more like P!nk in her more growly "Rock" moments.

The songs: "Girlfixer" is about a minute long and really fast, "thrash punk," only too cleanly produced for that genre. "Sick of it All" is Joan Jettish. "City of Angels" is just what the world needs, another useless tribute to fucking Los Angeles! It is more "bluesy" or something. In other words, they all sound like slick generic hard rock.

The cover: The Distillers sounded exactly like what I expected them to. How did I know this? Am I a genius or a psychic? No, because it's all right there in the marketing. They sound exactly like what they look like they will sound like. Major label hard rock from LA, 2004 model.

The Unsung Competition: The BellRays (from hicksville, California -- Riverside maybe?), The Paybacks (Detroit) and the Detroit Cobras (guess where from?) all do "punk/metal RAWK with a growly female singer" much much MUCH better. Because they are RAW and REAL -- these bands produce their own records real cheap and rely on gutsy off-the-rail performances and better songwriting -- rather than the photogenics of the SKANK with all the tatoos and piercings whose on all the magazine covers.

Next: Thursday
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Feb 03, 2004, 00:35
Do you like the Distillers?

And yes, KISS rock dude.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Quick review #1: The Distillers
Feb 03, 2004, 00:36
Bellrays are indeed totally ace.

Hope you're having fun by the way. Take a break in between you know 8^)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Distill of the night
Feb 03, 2004, 00:39
Distillers are ok...Got Sing Sing Death House (2nd album)
Pretty raw, bit Courtney in the Vocals - good for tidying up to. I like more than love and much more than loathe.
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Quick review #1: The Distillers
Feb 03, 2004, 00:46
Of course it's all fun~!

I am trying to make some point here -- maybe it's that old Lester Bangs quote about "the difference between style & fashion."

;-)
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Quick review # 25. the poobags
Feb 03, 2004, 00:51
maybe....but they can crossover occasionally. Its good to see what happens when they do.

Funny thing is also, what maybe critically reviled now may be revered in future and vise versa. Fashion is a fickle thing but some interesting stuff can occur in and around it.

I just wanna give some things a chance before I send in the nukes if you see what I mean?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

What the critics think!
Feb 03, 2004, 01:02
There aren't many "critics" worth paying attention to, so as far as "what the critics hate/love right now" ERGH!

There are a few "writers" who've tackled the subject of rocknroll and done quite well however. Lester Bangs, Julian Cope, Chuck Eddy . . . there used to be a bunch of good ones at CREEM back in the 70's-early 80's. I used to go to the library and spend hours reading back issues. But I don't remember the names of most of the geniuses writing for them at the time.

Anyway, I never read NME in my life and suspect I should be thankful! I sweat I keep my subscription to SPIN only because it fuels my artistic engine by pissing me off with it's bullshit. I have written more than one song about bands I hate!
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index