Re: Quick Review #3: Darkness
Feb 04, 2004, 23:45
your taxi's waiting ; )
Nukleopatra
Nukleopatra
186 posts

Re: SPIN's kiss of death for 2004
Feb 04, 2004, 23:46
I have heard them. They're awful - shrill, insincere fake-punk poseurs.

Watch out a decade from for Brody Dalle (formerly Armstrong, as in the guy from - BLECCCH - Rancid, whom she used to be married to) and her latest bunch of hacks in punk clothing to be co-headlining on the chicken-in-a-basket circuit with Pink and Avril Lavigne.

xoxo
'patra
Nukleopatra
Nukleopatra
186 posts

Re: Quick review # 25. the poobags
Feb 04, 2004, 23:58
"send in the nukes"

Did somebody mention my name?

;)

All kidding aside, I think there's good points made on both sides of this discussion; there's stuff that was hyped ten or fifteen years ago that I had a kneejerk dislike for - some of it I like now (Stone Temple Pilots,) some I still don't (Nirvana.) These days, I'm almost always willing to at least give something a chance before attacking it. On the other hand, time is precious and I can get irritated that I just wasted some of it on crap music. But in the end, I think life's too short to get worked up about it. Hype is the nature of the beast - history is where the truth comes out.

xoxo
'patra
Nukleopatra
Nukleopatra
186 posts

Re: Quick Review #4: Darkness
Feb 05, 2004, 00:09
I like that he's an unashamed David Coverdale fan.

Yes, I can say it now - I have the "Whitesnake: Trilogy" video with all three of the infamous late-80s promos that temporarily made them massively successful. I often stand in front of the mirror imitating the poses from "Still Of The Night" - not just ol' Cov's but also Tawny Kitean's (they did look a bit alike, if you think about it.)

Cov may be a ludicrous character, but he's fun - and he has a good voice.

xoxo
'patra
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Quick Review #63 gynarghy
Feb 05, 2004, 01:29
Yes. The problem is that you don't know the difference between a dinner jacket and jeans combo and a bespoke suit with the matching tailored trouser.
hehe
keith a
9573 posts

Feb 05, 2004, 15:36
>I like that he's an unashamed David Coverdale
> fan.

I think that says it all.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Re: Distill of the night
Feb 05, 2004, 16:25
I was listening to some Lucinda Williams at the weekend and thought this is what Brody Dalle would sound like if she went for a country sound.

I quite like the Distillers, tho' reckon 'Sing Sing...' is better than the last album. There's some great tunes in theri repertoire! Brody Dalle was very quiet, in fact she hardly spoke at all when I saw them live late last year; just let the music do the talking, I suppose. Certainly not appearing to want to live up to any hype...

I love Rancid, by the way. I think Tim Armstrong has a very distinctive voice, a great delivery, and he can write a pretty damn decent tune too (and sometimes, Strummer/Jones may not have written it before! ;o} )
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Re: Quick Review #3: Interpol
Feb 05, 2004, 23:14
>I am predisposed not to like these guys cuz
>I hate rock bands that wear suits.

What, even Nation Of Ulysses or Akercocke?
Bess Keloid
Bess Keloid
348 posts

Feb 05, 2004, 23:15
>You know 'em -- you love 'em or hate 'em.

I'm *still* a Don't-Know.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Feb 05, 2004, 23:17
tsk....how very awkward of you ;^)
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index