embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Failure to deliver - predictions
Jan 30, 2004, 14:27
I predict that the next two band to fail to live up to the hype are:

Franz Ferdinand, and

The Ordinary Boys.

I say this because the last copy of NME I flicked through had FF on the cover with the statement "this band will change your life", and then inside an article about TOB said that they are "Life Changing".

This led to confusion and paranoia.

Will FF change my life, and then TOB change it back? Will the FF change be a positive one? What about TOB? Do I actually want my life changed by forces beyond my control?

Then I had a moment of clarity. NME journalists have devolved their vocabulary. They have ousted the word "affirming" from statements about Life, and replaced it with "changing".

Great. I can sleep again now, and feel sure that both Franz Ferdinand and The Ordinary Boys are a bunch of chancers who will never again get their teeth into my brain in such a manner.

And I bet they are shit.
duckbreath
254 posts

Re: Failure to deliver - predictions
Jan 30, 2004, 15:27
FF are blur in disguise aren't they?
who needs them?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Jan 30, 2004, 16:05
Any groups with a lot of tatoos and piercings that gets featured in Spin magazine.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 30, 2004, 16:13
You cynic, you. When have the NME ever let us down before?

Hmm. Yeah, you're right. Bound to be monumentally disappointing.
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Jan 30, 2004, 16:42
Ah! But I have the last laugh!

I dissapoint the bands by not buying their records, going to their gigs or mentioning them ever again!

But maybe that is the manner in which they change my life?

Doh!
Lugia
970 posts

Jan 30, 2004, 17:53
Actually, amend that to ANYTHING in "Spin" magazine. It used to be the cutting edge back in its first few years, with excellent journalism (they picked up on the upcoming crack epidemic a couple of years before the mainstream media, and broke news about scandals in AIDS research in the mid-80s) and fine music tips (first heard about Jon Wayne, Hanatarash, Spacemen 3, Legendary Pink Dots et al in there). But starting about 1988-89, it started morphing into Rolling Stone mk.2, blew its cred, and then anything you ran into in there was almost always a harbinger of something awful. SO...if it's in "Spit"...uh..."Spin", you can be assured that it WILL disappoint, IMHO.
keith a
9572 posts

Jan 30, 2004, 20:45
Not heard the Ordinary Boys yet, but on the strength of their Moz lifting name I'm looking out for them. If they turn out to be shit, so be it.

But Franz Ferdinand are responsible for the single of the yr so far (yeah I know it's only Jan, but you know what I mean. And the last was good, too) So who cares if the rest of their career is shit, they've already made something decent. And that's more than some people achieve ina lifetime.

Loved the bit about changing and changing back btw!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

SPIN's kiss of death for 2004
Feb 02, 2004, 16:49
In fact the latest issue of SPIN is all about "the next big things."

On the cover, representatives of 4 NEXT BIG BANDS:

Interpol
The Distillers
Thursday
The Darkness!!

According to the SPIN sucks hype theory, therefore all of these bands should be all but forgotten in 2-5 years times.

Bad news for Darkness fans then!

BTW - I am torn between who looks more ridiculous on the cover: that Darkness dude posing all "arena metal" or the "jaded" tatooed & pierced skank from the Distillers. Whom I've never heard but I *know* they suck.

The Interpol guy has longish nerd hair and is wearing a cheap suit (70's shlock chic.) The guy from Thursday is dressed all in black with shiny zippers and looks like a reject from a boy band (I am guessing he's from an "Emo" band.)

So retro-phony & calculated with their images! I'm bored of these Next Big Things before I even know what half of them sound like!
embryonomore
embryonomore
853 posts

Interpol
Feb 02, 2004, 17:08
I hate to admit it, especially to myself, but I file Interpol under "Not as bad as you'd expect, seeing as the NME raved about them for a while".

Their album was actually rather enjoyable in a Ride kind of way, with some added stupid changes.

Kind of has a Smiths/ Bunnymen feel to the production also.

Worth hearing before writing them off.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Re: Interpol
Feb 02, 2004, 18:22
C'mon Dog, check 'em out! Not everything on the album is consistant, but "NYC" is quite beautiful.
Pages: 9 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index