Your best recent finds

72 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

That 80's Thang
Sep 05, 2003, 17:42
Here's a quickly pulled list of the kind of "scene" I was referring to when I said the 80's was secretly a renaissance of rock (at least in the USA):

Bad Brains, Big Black, Black Flag, Butthole Surfers, Camper Van Beethoven, Chrome, Cows, Die Kreuzen, Dinosuar jr, Ed Hall, Eleventh Dream Day, Feelies, fIREHOSE, Fishbone, Flaming Lips, Flipper, Foetus, Fugazi, Green River, Grifters, Husker Du, Jesus Lizard, Killdozer, Meat Puppets, Melvins, Minor Threat, Minutemen, Mission of Burma, Mudhoney, Pavement, Pixies, Plan 9, Rapeman, Redd Kross, Replacements, Rites of Spring, Royal Trux, Sacharine Trust, Sebadoh, Smithereens, Sonic Youth, Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, Superchunk, TAD, Tar Babies, Urge Overkill, Violent Femmes, Volcano Suns, Wipers, Wreck, X

A few of those groups eventually found some mainstream success, many never made it out of the indie label ghetto, and for the most part those that did get major label deals wound up regretting it later.

And I did find a couple UK bands that were sort of honorary members of this scene (at least much listened to & loved by everyone): My Bloody Valentine & the Wedding Present

Honorary Asian scenesters: Shonen Knife
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index