72 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2373 posts

Re: Your best recent finds
Sep 06, 2003, 14:39
Troubleman Records Sampler
Truly diverse label from who knows where? This is a great comp which swings from trad indie through Post Rock to doomy metally stuff touching electroclashy punk beats and new wavey sounds in between...gotta delve more into this here label, it's the dog's nads!!

L.C.D. Soundsystem
Saw these live a while ago, and they were fabulous, which was a great surprise, as i wasn't that bothered about them, they were just on the concert billing.
Singles Beat Connection and Give It Up are essential if you like that post punk new wave disco sound.

The Rapture ... Just About Anything
Ditto above, more of the same really, but funkily angular and just plain fab. Another bunch i'd ignored cos' of the hype, but they play a mean gig, and rawk in a P-Funk way unlike any band i've seen in a while, well except for LCD of coarse.

The Heads - At Last
Great full on concert rehearsal CD which is full on in a Braindonor meets Loop meets... and flows seamlessly from track to track. Wish they'd play live more, as the last (and only) time i saw em' they blew AMT away, well i thought so. More product please you Bristol beauties!!!

The New SFA album Phantom Power is pretty good and caused me to rediscover those wonderful but sadly long time unplayed SFA Records.

The new Broadcast LP Ha Ha Sound is a wonderfully Autumnal affair (mind you, what of theirs isn't ??)
Lots of clonks, drones and Morricone style guitar along with sublime vocals from a distinctly Sandie Shaw sounding singer. If you like An Electric Storm, you'll probably like this.

Hovercraft - Experiment Below / Akathisia
Two great CD's which often sound like a drone fixated Sonic Youth mixed with a space-rock Bauhaus (if they ever did that : ) Great noises, though probably not one to put on as background music.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index